Suggestions for large display with configurable web browser

ggc

Looking for suggestions for a large screen display (greater than 37in) with wifi that will boot directly to a web browser, then point to the same IP address every time.
We've done the Redlion PTV, expensive and limited to length of HDMI cable, but it works.
Have also had success with a Raspberry Pi running in kiosk mode, but it feels a bit kludgy, and if the display is power cycled while the Pi is already running it sometimes has issues with detecting correct screen resolution.
Is there anything out there in the residential TV or digital signage world that can be configured to simply point to a webpage on boot-up.
I've spoken with a digital signage company, but their solutions required an additional layer of software.
Most of the residential TVs have internal web browsers, but I haven't found one that can be configured so the web page is the boot-up option.
Any suggestions?

Have also had success with a Raspberry Pi running in kiosk mode, but it feels a bit kludgy, and if the display is power cycled while the Pi is already running it sometimes has issues with detecting correct screen resolution

Does powering the RPi from the screen stop this?

In my head this looks something like a TV (Everything has HDMI and USB these days) that has a PC Stick, NUC or RPi plugged into it. Set your browser to startup on boot and then just set your IP as the homepage of the browser.

Was nervous about powering the Pi from the display's USB, the newer one's with a heavy graphics load/HDMI output can pull over 1000mA, I believe the USB 2.0 port on the display would be limited to 500mA.

Aside from the "screen resolution on power up" issue, it's worked fine in a factory environment for a couple of years. Just followed the instructions at https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-kiosk/ changed the IP address, plugged it into the HDMI port and away it went.

I've been asked to do a similar set-up in a different part of the factory, was hoping I could take the Pi out of the loop and simply have a screen that points straight to a webpage. Not from a cost-saving perspective, more of a "I don't want to be the only person in the factory who knows how this works" situation.

I did try to look at some Chinese Panel PC's, but the cost is significantly more than a TV with an external device. I think TV + PC Stick is the way to go for large displays.

A lot of those advertising kiosks and board TVs, think restaurant menu on a tv, run off of software on a usb. I’ve seen some in plants that display messages to employees, policy updates, etc. I’d say that something like that could do what your looking for but I don’t have enough experience with them to say for sure.

"I don't want to be the only person in the factory who knows how this works"

I think the problem is that if you buy another Smart TV next year, it's going to come with a completely different interface or operating system.

Among consumer products, Raspberry Pi is actually surprisingly long-lived in general form factor and configuration. Even though each revision of Raspbian changes some things, Chromium kiosk mode should still be a 2-3 page setup document for years at a time. I figure it's worth trying a Raspberry Pi 4 to see if its 4K-capable mini-HDMI is any better with regard to automatic resolution detection.

I tried to set up a smart TV for my in-laws, and have never been so close to murder as when my father-in-law commented "I thought you were supposed to be good at electronics" while I tried to enter a 25-character high complexity Netflix password using a remote.

I tried to set up a smart TV for my in-laws, and have never been so close to murder as when my father-in-law commented "I thought you were supposed to be good at electronics" while I tried to enter a 25-character high complexity Netflix password using a remote.

Ken, that's a job for a 10 year old, everyone knows that. They'll breeze through it! LOL
Now, give them a smart phone or a texting app and they'll make you look like a dinosaur (in my case anyways).

Benn there, done that, then my son says "Hey Dad, did you know you can hook a keyboard to the TV?" d'Oh!

Instead of putting a device at the monitor, where it is likely difficult to access, why not setup a PC or other device and use an HDMI extender/HDMI over Cat5/6. It will be a long term supported device (the PC) and easy to manage,

Intel sticks

I've had great results with an Intel stick and a TV. No resolution detection problems etc. and the interface is your regular windows pc.
Sits behind the TV and you can VNC in anytime you need to re-configure.

Which exact models of the "Intel Compute Stick" have you used ?

Are there any models of that sort that have a hardwired Ethernet port ?

Which exact models of the "Intel Compute Stick" have you used ?

Are there any models of that sort that have a hardwired Ethernet port ?

This might defeat the purpose but the ones I saw after I read his post :oops: Had at least a USB, so and USB NIC would likely give you the hardwire connection you need.