MQTT experts

PLC

Any MQTT experts here?
I’m trying to learn and test an s71200 client with a MQTT broker/server.

Can anyone suggest a simple broker/server I can use on a pc ? (That you have used)

Just something simple to send any data back and forth

Yes, it's very simple to use.

I would recommend watching a Youtube video or Googling a tutorial on how a broker works

I'm the Scada administrator for Pioneer Oil and we have several remote (very remote) locations that all of the data to and from these locations use the MQTT protocol.

We use Ignition Scada, Cirrus Link, Maple Systems, to handle all our MQTT needs.

Our remote locations are connected back to our Scada Server with our own "Private Cellular Network".

I can say if your looking at MQTT, I would recommend using the "Sparkplug B 3.1.1" protocol.

This is my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
I tired MQTT last year with S7-1200 and could not make it work. Going by the memory of a man who doesn't like remembering I think it had something to do with authentication. I was able to connect to a local broker but I could not connect to an online one. I believe S7-1200 does not support secure communication and having to open a port that was blocked by my ISP. Can't seem to find my notes.

I tired MQTT last year with S7-1200 and could not make it work. Going by the memory of a man who doesn't like remembering I think it had something to do with authentication. I was able to connect to a local broker but I could not connect to an online one. I believe S7-1200 does not support secure communication and having to open a port that was blocked by my ISP. Can't seem to find my notes.

Latest FW for 1200 (v4.4, requires v16) allows for secure communication.

Fantastic, now we're talking.

Thanks mk42.

Edit: I just realized secure communication was available also with 4.3 which is the version I was working with. I will have to dig in more to find out what issues I had; I'm quite sure it had to do with connecting to remote server.

Last edited:
Edit: I just realized secure communication was available also with 4.3 which is the version I was working with. I will have to dig in more to find out what issues I had; I'm quite sure it had to do with connecting to remote server.

I guess I was one off, whichever. I think DNS showed up in the 1200 somewhere along the way as well. New FW def does add OPC UA to the 1200, which is nice.

I've heard that dealing with certificates is terrible, especially when you start mixing in cloud providers. We (controls engineers) don't know the terminology, and the directions basically say "here's how it works without security. To be secure, add certificates" without covering the steps required.

Last edited:
Jeev
Wow. Now that’s very interesting.
I’m digging more and more with MQTT and I haven’t seen that before
Great info