OT: Coronavirus do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been depressed about humanity too. But I indeed expected controls people to be somewhat more rational than common folk...

There are some stories of the good of humanity.

In Italy, 3D printing company making critical valves for ventilators
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...pinion/ventilators-coronavirus-italy.amp.html

Distilleries making hand sanitizer
https://www.ien.com/food-beverage/news/21122656/distilleries-are-making-hand-sanitizer

Special effects shops (and now I read beauty salons) giving masks and other PPE to local hospitals.
https://www.ien.com/product-development/news/21123450/fx-shops-send-safety-gear-to-hospitals

A large manufacturer of marching band uniforms has changed its sewing lines to make masks. https://fjminc.com/

Even here its getting us as well.
Our already Very troubled forestry industry is completely shutting down on April 1st. The common narrative is here though that they will NOT be starting back up due to the how badly our government has stripped the industry of all functionality. A year & .5 ago..... forestry here was booming here and I was getting the most for soft wood lumber ever. I even purchased a 15 ton excavator with a processing head to cut on my land. Shorty after, the government started closing our mills due to protesting by a certain very small special interest group. Throwing thousands of generational lifestyle loggers and all associated forestry contractors out of work. Luckily, I have been in the trades and automation as well as logging so I "currently" have work, but now I'm working to pay for a forestry machine that is sitting in my driveway and not working everyday.
I have no idea what to do with it now. I can't even sell it as there is nobody to sell it to. I expect that if I production stops and I lose my job even temporarily, the bank will have to come and take it.

It sad as logging to me is almost therapeutic. Iv been at this since I was a kid. Its so nice to be in the woods, away from managers, computers and phones. Not sitting at a desk. Its also nice to see my kid interested in something other than video games. He loves unloading the loads of logs I haul out of the woods. Hes only 7 and cant get enough of it!

I was thinking of laying a decent size load of logs across the highway in protest. They could never move them without my equipment! You know what I mean... In protest of the special interest group that shut down our industry and killed a lifestyle in the area.

I feel lucky to still be working as I know many are not, I just feel we are loosing a big part of our local identity without forestry in the area.

I work at a sawmill here in the Southeast US. Our parent company is Canadian (British Columbia) so I have been aware of the problems with our industry up north.

We have been reduced in hours from 60 down to 50 for production, but we are the lucky ones. Some of our other mills are shutting down completely or have had their hours more drastically reduced.

I did find out something interesting though, the Forestry/Wood products industry is considered a critical industry. I think it is mostly due to the paper products like disposable masks, toilet paper, etc. Unfortunately, that wont prevent us from being in danger of shutting down if we cant sell our lumber in the warehouse, which is getting full.

By the way, it easy to social distance when no on likes you. All these years of being an A..hole has finally paid off.

By the way, it easy to social distance when no on likes you. All these years of being an A..hole has finally paid off.

LOL... hey same here, the last "real" job I had I worked there for 15 years and only one person came to my retirement party and he quit about a year before I did :D

I told my wife we have been practicing social distancing for the last 30 years and never knew it...

I work at a sawmill here in the Southeast US. Our parent company is Canadian (British Columbia) so I have been aware of the problems with our industry up north.
30% of our business goes to sawmill OEMs.
This will hurt.

I was camping 2 weeks ago. Full log trucks were whizzing by in the early morning. They were using the air brakes. There is some logging going on.

I have my truck camper. I can camp in it for weeks if necessary but I am addicted to the internet.

We have been reduced in hours from 60 down to 50 for production, but we are the lucky ones. Some of our other mills are shutting down completely or have had their hours more drastically reduced.

I did find out something interesting though, the Forestry/Wood products industry is considered a critical industry. I think it is mostly due to the paper products like disposable masks, toilet paper, etc. Unfortunately, that wont prevent us from being in danger of shutting down if we cant sell our lumber in the warehouse, which is getting full.

The industry itself could thrive. We have generations of experience, we have an amazing amount of the required resource and we have a work force ready to make it happen as well as the infrastructure currently in the form of the many shut down saw mills and fiber plants in the province. However, we have a weak *** government that is hell bent on enriching the lives of the smaller minority groups that already have life handed to them on silver lined platters more so than they are interested in preserving lifestyles and honest livings of thousands of people and families.
The only hope we have of a future with an industry in this province is to basically call for a boycott of the large suppliers. Home Depots, Kent, just to name a couple, all support economies that are not our own and bring in / make readily available products from other areas (usually a much lesser quality product). We need folks to go to the little saw mill on the corner and request materials rather than the big guys store who's main suppliers are massive forestry companies that couldn't give a **** about a local economy or how many are out of work. We need the construction contractors to demand local products on their projects and building codes that say local product must be used where available.
However, I don't expect our current liberal MLA or Crime Minister to actually do anything for our doomed industry except consider themselves to be in a position where they are the victorious party over the folks who needed this. They seem to be rather pleased with the mill closures and are all celebrating pats on the back now. From 2 meters of separation of course.

I know this has nothing to do with the Covid thing, but this situation really hits home for me and this is an OT thread. I am really glad that I have a job but this forestry company and my nearly thousand acres of agricultural land was intended to be my long term plan and my fathers immediate retirement job to run my harvester. Now, we don't know what to do. Even when the economy restarts and things go back to "normal" it seems we are still screwed.

Anybody want to buy a harvester???

Boy, you hear those emergency broadcast tests all the time, for your whole life. This is a test...

Well, the darn thing actually works sending a message.

Basically, reminding Michigan residents of the Stay Home-Stay Safe Order by our Governor that takes effect at 12:01am Tuesday.

My buddy in Indiana got the same EBS message for Michigan.
Well, maybe it could use a programming touch up...

However, we have a weak *** government that is hell bent on enriching the lives of the smaller minority groups that already have life handed to them on silver lined platters more so than they are interested in preserving lifestyles and honest livings of thousands of people and families.
The only hope we have of a future with an industry in this province is to basically call for a boycott of the large suppliers. Home Depots, Kent, just to name a couple, all support economies that are not our own and bring in / make readily available products from other areas (usually a much lesser quality product). We need folks to go to the little saw mill on the corner and request materials rather than the big guys store who's main suppliers are massive forestry companies that couldn't give a **** about a local economy or how many are out of work. We need the construction contractors to demand local products on their projects and building codes that say local product must be used where available.
However, I don't expect our current liberal MLA or Crime Minister to actually do anything for our doomed industry except consider themselves to be in a position where they are the victorious party over the folks who needed this. They seem to be rather pleased with the mill closures and are all celebrating pats on the back now. From 2 meters of separation of course.

I know this has nothing to do with the Covid thing, but this situation really hits home for me and this is an OT thread. I am really glad that I have a job but this forestry company and my nearly thousand acres of agricultural land was intended to be my long term plan and my fathers immediate retirement job to run my harvester. Now, we don't know what to do. Even when the economy restarts and things go back to "normal" it seems we are still screwed.

Anybody want to buy a harvester???
The last line is funny, like the into to Rain on The Scarecrow. But the rest is way off tune. If you're blaming the government instead of the hideous management at Northern Pulp, you simply haven't been paying attention. I know, I worked there for over 15 years. One of the many to quit before the obvious conclusion. Anyone who thought that what was going on up here for the past 5 years was going to end well, just wasn't paying attention. The boilers were running with blown out precipitators/emission controls because they were overloaded. The mill manager stood in the smokeshack day after day with a cigarette in one hand and a middle finger to the world in the other. Well, how's it looking now? I feel your pain, but move on. I worked in the offshore industry and lost my job twice as facilities shut down. No sense whining. Keep moving forward.

Wow, is this kind of language necessary?
Just want to comment that was born without mental illness, was raised in a family that could afford my education, my inoculations, my nutrition, my recreation etc., and so far I have not been able to find anything I could have done to have such fortune.

I just noticed the replies to my post. Few possibilities:

1-I can not articulate my thoughts.
2-Some people can not read.
3-Language barrier
4-All of the above.

And I absolutely agree with your statement; in fact that was a small part of my post.

Lolol, that's what they told us in Nova Scotia. Turns out the adults CAN'T ****ING ADD or COME TO INTELLIGENT CONCLUSIONS ABOUT OBVIOUS ****.

How could you not see what would happen by telling hundreds of thousands of people not to go to work, but then to go to a park or beach? Now the parks and beaches are closed lmfao....

I guess this will be my last post in this topic because I understand that people opt out.

I was thinking about EVERYBODY (your friendely neighbour, the people in the street, in the shops, people sitting in metro's, at work, your parents, grandparents, children, family....
So we can take care for the weakest.

Take special care for your medical and nursing personal, you'll need them.

We all consider us intelligent? Well: inform yourselves about the numbers.

You have a window of about ten days.

Don't use even a simple mouthmask yourself:
give them to a hospital or nursing home. This will be more efficient for your country. You'll need to take one for the team, meaning: medics and retirement home's.

The one my mother is in send an email asking about cloth to make simple mouthmasks themselves.

In Italy and France they (the hospital-doctors) are talking about 'war triage' within a week. Specially talking about the lack of mouth-masks, within a week ore two, asking people to help them out regarding FFP2's.

And guess what: ALIBABA donated some 500.00 pieces to our country.

If you have a stock of FFP2 or -3: be prepared to give them to hospitals.

For those who wonder what my avatar is about:

2nd batallion Field Artillery.

The last months I was reminded about some basic values I learned there a long time ago.

Alone you mean (almost) nothing
Together you can achieve anything

Honour and integrity.

I humbly serve.

Here is what I see around me.

Homeless: day shelters have closed and offer only meals to go. Talk about increasing benefits and assistance and all that short term nonesense.

Low paid workers: One time assistance of 1000 dollars IF they have to take time off due to illness. Otherwise the.y still have to work minimum wage and risk getting I'll. An example are workers in warehouses unloading acontsiners and palletizing; they can not exercise any meaningfully distancing while working and go to lunchrooms packed together eating onnthevsam tables. Washroom conditions are disgusting. I was at a acouple last week. Then comes the blood suckers, big grocery chains and announce a two dollars increase to those laborours but for temorary period and everybody cheers for keeping me he supply line going.

Prostitutes: standing on the corner we usual hoping for some business,.I could only guess that covid is the least of their worry.

Instead of charity we should asking ourselves how did we get here, how did it come to the his. I can not in good conscious say I care because caring is about doing and forum activism is the most I do.

Guaranteed housing as an absolute right for all. Don't just give workers a temporary raise; guarantee a minumum income now and always.And when q government like the liberal BC government closes a hospital for mentally ill, gather it's leaders and lock them up in prison. And then finally when you have an epidemic and want to house the homeless , ceize the most expensive alomst fineshed highrise downtown Vancouver and house th m there.

Note: This was written on a mobile phone that seems to replace my spelling mistakes with meaningless mumbo jumbo. But it did my b st to proof read it.

Edit:I think you took my "we" personally and that is your choice. We is larger we,global we not PLC forum we and is based on personal observation, experience and reflections. I thought that wouldn't have needed clarification but what do I know.

One more Edit as I'm driving out of province and only have my phone me to kill time with on my breaks:
Those numbers are meangless to me and show how "we" trivilaize things. All the problems we are facing as a result of the he pandemic are products of inequity and the solutions should not be bandaide solutions. Again, how did we get here? I donate to the poor, and help as much I can and always have, is that enough? Of course not because right around me there are homeless, poor etc and charity is not and was never the solution.

Last edited:
lolol, that's what they told us in nova scotia. Turns out the adults can't ****ing add or come to intelligent conclusions about obvious ****.

How could you not see what would happen by telling hundreds of thousands of people not to go to work, but then to go to a park or beach? Now the parks and beaches are closed lmfao....

lol... ;)

The last line is funny, like the into to Rain on The Scarecrow. But the rest is way off tune. If you're blaming the government instead of the hideous management at Northern Pulp, you simply haven't been paying attention. I know, I worked there for over 15 years. One of the many to quit before the obvious conclusion. Anyone who thought that what was going on up here for the past 5 years was going to end well, just wasn't paying attention. The boilers were running with blown out precipitators/emission controls because they were overloaded. The mill manager stood in the smokeshack day after day with a cigarette in one hand and a middle finger to the world in the other. Well, how's it looking now? I feel your pain, but move on. I worked in the offshore industry and lost my job twice as facilities shut down. No sense whining. Keep moving forward.

Move forward to what? This is what we have always done. Whats to become of all my standing timber and stud wood. Just let it rot while still paying provincial land tax on an 800 acre "woodlot" as they see it. Sure not a woodlot now but I'm still being taxed as such. Its not just the Northern Pulp mill it concerns either, but every saw mill in the province who used Northern Pulp as a primary customer of byproduct waste. There are so many people out of work from this that I have no choice but to blame 100% Stephen McNeil. Sure the mill had issues, needed to be fixed. But he wasn't open to listen to anything and still isn't. The mill bent over backwards providing study after study only to be squashed by an MLA that pretty much stuck HIS middle finger up to the industry in N.S. Sure if you want to grow pot or make alcohol in N.S. no problem, the "special interest group" defiantly wont protest those ones.

Furthermore, I didn't work at Northern Pulp, I live many hours away from the plant. How are we to know as a forestry community that internally they have ****ty management. All we see is them applying for upgrades and studies to improve their environmental footprint on the evening news, promises of a newer upgraded plant and more capacity to buy wood and the government just saying nope!

Status
Not open for further replies.