FactoryTalk View Studio- Numeral Input Enable Optional Expression

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I have a delicate SLC 5/05 system that I would rather not make any changes to the PLC. I have a Panelview Plus and I would like to do the following in FactoryTalk View.

Objects / Numeric and String / Numeral Input Enable

My goal is to put a zero in N7:77. What I would like to do is write an expression to write this 0 to N7:77. The AND condition would be B33:3/8 and T34:0/DN . When these conditions are met I would like to write a zero in N7:77. I imagine this is possible , correct ? I understand some of this. It is the
Syntax that I get confused about.

My career takes me in so many directions , that I really don't get the chance to do the stuff I really enjoy doing .

Thanks . I really appreciate your help.

if you want the condition to set the tag anytime the condition is true then you can use Global Connections/Macros and place that AND expression in the trigger. Then a Macro to send 0 to the N7:77 tag.

If you only want it as part of the data entry object then the optional expression would be:
If TagA and TagB then
else
?

PS The macro name would be 'Remote Macro 1'

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your response . I will try your recommendation tomorrow. I may still have some questions.

Thanks again.

JaxGTO said:
...PS The macro name would be 'Remote Macro 1'

A small but important correction...

Under Global Connection>Macro, you will find the predefined global macros named...

Remote Macro1
Remote Macro2
Remote Macro3
Remote Macro4
Remote Macro5

Here, these are assigned a trigger tag, or expression, which will execute their individual remote macros.

By default...

Remote Macro1 trigger will only execute a macro named "Macro1". This macro name is fixed.

So...

Remote Macro1 = Macro1
Remote Macro2 = Macro2
Remote Macro3 = Macro3
Remote Macro4 = Macro4
Remote Macro5 = Macro5

So the name for the macro you create for Remote Macro1 would not be "Remote Macro1", it must be "Macro1".

I'm sure you just forgot that and it's fresh in my head because just last week I similarly gave some misinformation regarding remote macros.

Rob S.,

These macros do not exist and must be user created if using remote macros. The link between Remote Macro1 and Macro1 is preprogrammed so you do not have to reference them to each other in any way. Just make sure the naming is correct.

Can we just be clear here...

You want a simultaneously true evaluation of both of these boolean addresses, which reside in the controller, to write a value of 0 to an integer address, which also resides in the same controller?

The HMI terminal plays no part in influencing the true status of these boolean addresses?

That is, the HMI only evaluates them, and if true, writes the 0 to the integer?

In others word...

Normally, this would be another rung of logic in the controller and the HMI would not be used for such tasks.

You are using the HMI to solve a simple piece of logic because you do not want to, or cannot, edit the SLC program?

Adding this rung to the program "should" be a simple online edit.

There is essentially nothing wrong with doing this in the HMI, but I would not make a habit of it. It's not always possible to do so, but wherever I can, I always try to design HMI applications to be complimentary or auxiliary to the running system, but not essential. In most cases you should be able to plug a HMI off the network and the system will keep chugging along. A little bit blind for a while perhaps, but running nonetheless.

In your case, doing so, or losing the HMI through a fault, "could" cause an issue if your intended logic is not evaluated when expected to.

Just some fundamental thinking to ponder over.

If I'm misreading your intentions then please forgive me.

Regards,
George

No Sir . Your correct. I tried an online edit for an additional MOV and I go to finalize the edit , it says it failed . It is stuck in Test Edit in the processor. I tried canceling edits and that failed also.i have been spoiled with the ControlLogix platform the last several years . Thanks for your help.

Aha,

So now we get to the real crux of your problem...

This is an age old problem and hopefully all that is wrong for you here...

32963 - Online edit failure or OPC communication problems with SLC 5/05 and MicroLogix 1100 PLCs
Access Level: TechConnect

If you or others do not have TechConnect...

In RSLinx go to Communications>Configure CIP Options...

Change...

Max. "Fast" Messaging Connections per PLC

...from 4 > 1

&

Max. "Slow" Messaging Connections per PLC

...from 2 > 1

Fingers crossed!

Regards,
George

Last edited: