OT: Strange Calls

Phil Buchanan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Since I teach PLC training I get some strange calls to my number sometimes.

This morning a guy called and he said.

" I have SLC 100 running our plant's main operation and it's not working at all. It has power but none of the lights are working now. Our plant is down and I am going to need you to arrive in the next 4 hours or we are all going to be in big trouble because we are a critical operation to the state"

My first question was what city and state he was calling from and how he got my number. I told him we may be in big trouble since he was in northern California and I am in Middle Georgia.

I was kind enough to find his local Rockwell distributors number and a local contractors number for him.

I wonder why a critical operation to the state is still running a SLC 100

People find anything online about Allen Bradley PLC's and read no further they just call with their Allen Bradley line down questions.

Since so many seem to not be able to reach tech connect I may start a new billable service called Phil Connect.

Last edited:
Another guy called last week and asked "is my wife there?" my reply was no.

Then he said "why not? She is supposed to be there with you" to which I replied "is she now?"

Then he said "yes so why is she not there?" to which I replied "because I don't think my wife would go for that."

Then he said" oh this isn't masters bar and grill?" To which i replied "nope not yet but we are opening soon." Sadly I lost him at that point.

Last edited:
Another guy called last week and asked "is my wife there?" my reply was no...

You reply should of been.... No but your momma is

For the 100/150's since I make the cables, just about every order is next day air so until it fails and the maintenance guy opens the cabinet and says "WTH is that?" then there are a lot out there.

Until I fixed my google search, I use to get call asking some random AB questions all the time, then they would say well your AB support are you?

Until I fixed my google search, I use to get call asking some random AB questions all the time, then they would say well your AB support are you?
You should have asked them to setup a support service, automatically renewed and only able to cancel with 12 months notice. And price to match - I suggest Rockwell prices plus 25%.

' Since so many seem to not be able to reach tech connect I may start a new billable service called Phil Connect. '

You may regret that choice. The next thing you know you'll be setting up a call center. Ha ha.

More off topic but I found it amusing.
A woman phoned me last week to ask if I could repair her outside light.
She said it was on all the time.
I told her we don't do domestics but she persisted saying she was less than 1/2 a mile away.
It was a pir activated light so I said the relay sometimes sticks inside the pir.
If she gives it a gentle tap, it might go off...best I could offer.

She phoned back 10 minutes later to say it had gone off but the light was now hanging down the wall on its wires.
She had whacked it with a broom handle.