large dc motors

DC motor is any of a class of rotary electrical motors that converts direct current electrical energy into mechanical energy. The most common types rely on the forces produced by magnetic fields. Nearly all types of DC motors have some internal mechanism, either electromechanical or electronic, to periodically change the direction of current in part of the motor.
DC motors were the first form of motor widely used, as they could be powered from existing direct-current lighting power distribution systems. A DC motor's speed can be controlled over a wide range, using either a variable supply voltage or by changing the strength of current in its field windings. Small DC motors are used in tools, toys, and appliances. The universal motor can operate on direct current but is a lightweight brushed motor used for portable power tools and appliances.

DC motor is any of a class of rotary electrical motors that converts direct current electrical energy into mechanical energy. The most common types rely on the forces produced by magnetic fields. Nearly all types of DC motors have some internal mechanism, either electromechanical or electronic, to periodically change the direction of current in part of the motor.
DC motors were the first form of motor widely used, as they could be powered from existing direct-current lighting power distribution systems. A DC motor's speed can be controlled over a wide range, using either a variable supply voltage or by changing the strength of current in its field windings. Small DC motors are used in tools, toys, and appliances. The universal motor can operate on direct current but is a lightweight brushed motor used for portable power tools and appliances.

Yes, its true that in a Shunt Wound motor, 'changing the strength' of the field windings will vary the speed....but the Ward-Leonard systems only relies on this method above base speed in a compound motor; and above base speed, you start to lose torque. The motor goes faster, however. Lower the field too much, and the motor will go REALLY REALLY fast...but, please, don't rely on this note as some kind of Engineering guidance. :D

Originally posted by jdbrandt:

The biggest DC motor I ever saw in person was a Reversing Mill motor on an aluminum sheet line.

My son worked as a youth apprentice in the maintenance department at an aluminum mill in Manitowoc, WI. His mentor showed me around the place and I got to see the hot mill motor. ODP construction minus the DP part. Pretty wild to see. They had recently had the motor reconditioned IN PLACE because it was much easier than removing the motor from the building.

Keith