Controlnet unSchedule I/O card change to Schedule connection

wilsonzhu

Hi all,

I have a Controllogix project, I added some DI/DO, AI/AO card online using unschedule connection.For DI/DO Comm Format: Rack optimization and AO/AI not check using schedule controlnet box. This time I need offline download the program for plant explansion during plant shutdown time. I would like to change unscheduled DI/DO to Schedule connection. but I can not change Comm Format to Input Data or Output Data. I have to delete these DI/DO cards and add new one(choose schedule mode), My question is that delete/add I/O Cards will affect the program?, or is there another way to change DI/DO from rack Optimization to scheduled Input/Output Data? Thanks.

The quick answer is no.

The long answer is.....

I'm afraid there is no way to modify the Comm Format of a module once it has been entered. This is because this choice affects which Module-Defined Tags are created.

So switching between Rack-Optimised and Standard connections is not possible, only deletion and re-creation is possible.

You can do this off-line, simply delete the modules and re-install them into the I/O configuration in the correct format.

Now - in theory - all should be well, BUT.....If any code is addressing the Rack-Optimised tags for the modules, you will have to convert them to the standard tags.

To Explain...

An I/O module Tag is made up as follows - location:slot:type

When in the same chassis as the owner controller - e.g. Local:3:I

In a remote chassis, the only thing that changes is location, and it changes to the name given to the remote chassis communications module in the I/O configuration "tree". - e.g. Filler_CN2:3:I.

However, when the remote comms module is added with Rack Optimisation chosen as the Comm Format, then additional tags are created - Filler_CN2:I and Filler_CN2:O

These tags contain the I/O data for all the digital I/O in the remote chassis - in effect the Comms Module is acting as a remote I/O Adapter.

In the above example, an Input Module in slot 3, the data from the module is in the Filler_CN2:I tag, in element 3 of an array called Slot. Input point 0 of that module is then Filler_CN2:I.Slot[3].Data.0

Programmers should use the standard for addressing I/O tags, no matter where they are in the system - location:slot:type.

However it don't always happen, I have seen programmers use the Slot[x] array in the optimised tag to get to their I/O points.

So how does the system allow programmers to carry on using the location:slot:type addressing ?

When you insert the module into the configuration, it creates the same tags Filler_CN2:3:I, Filler_CN2:3:O, and Filler_CN2:3:C as normal, but (assuming you request rack optimisation for the module), it then automatically aliases the I and O tags into the Rack-Optimised tags, to address where the data really is.

So, back to your dilemma, you want to change a Rack-Optimised module to a direct-connect module (you could try to explain why you are doing this?).

Step-by-step....

1. Before you start - verify the controller has no errors.

2. Delete the module you want to convert from Rack-Optimised to Direct.

If you did a verify controller now, you may get errors where the code is addressing I/O tags that don't exist anymore. If you do get these errors, then all is good, as it indicates the programmer has adhered to the location:slot:type addressing.

But, I've seen enough sloppy programming to know this can happen, someone may have addressed the I/O points directly via the Rack-Optimised tags. If you cross-reference the location:I, and location:O tags, you will quickly find if that has happened, and you will need to covert these references to the standard location:slot:type addressing.

If you don't convert them, then there is no justification in putting the module in as not Rack-Optimised, the I/O data will still be using the optimised connection, at the RPI rate specified for the comms module.

3. Put the module back into the configuration, choosing Input (or Output) Data.

4. Verify the controller again.

All the previous errors should disappear, and the project will be ready to run.

PS. Rack-Optimisation and ControlnET Scheduling are not as "related" as your post infers....

....want me to explain further ?

Thanks for your explain, I tried to Rockwell Tech support, The answer is if the Controlnet bridge 1756-CNB's COMM Format is Rack Optimization, then its DI/DO card's Comm Format can all be set as Rack Optimazation. It's not necessary to change to input/output Data format. If Commit Format is input/output Data, The RPI can be lower, it was controlled by controlnet. But they also said delete/re-add with different comm format will not affect the program. Could you explain more? Thanks.
PS. Rack-Optimisation and ControlnET Scheduling are not as "related" as your post infers....

....want me to explain further ?

Actually which one is better for offline download, keep the comm format to Rack Optimization or input/output data?
Thanks for your explain, I tried to Rockwell Tech support, The answer is if the Controlnet bridge 1756-CNB's COMM Format is Rack Optimization, then its DI/DO card's Comm Format can all be set as Rack Optimazation. It's not necessary to change to input/output Data format. If Commit Format is input/output Data, The RPI can be lower, it was controlled by controlnet. But they also said delete/re-add with different comm format will not affect the program. Could you explain more? Thanks.

If you are happy to accept that the I/O update time will be that of the Comms module, then leave the new cards as Rack Optimised, then all you will need to do is check the "Use scheduled connection" on the configuration dialog, re-scehdule the network, and all will be well.

You only need a direct (i.e. Not Rack Optimised) connection for I/O modules that need to work at their own, different, RPI than the comms module.

Tech support are correct, deleting and re-adding as Input/Output format will not affect the program, but may not achieve the desired results if the code is addressed to the rack-optimised tags.

Last edited: