1734-AENTR Point IO

smelese

I am trying to install a Point IO to a plc. When I run it, it shows a flashing red light on the point bus status. What could this mean and how can I fix it?

smelese said:
1734-AENTR Point IO...I am trying to install a Point IO to a plc...

Hi,

Can you please clarify what exactly you are installing?

A 1734-AENTR adapter new and on its own?
A 1734-AENTR adapter new with at least one I/O module?
An I/O module or modules to an existing 1734-AENTR adapter?

While we wait...

For the "POINTBus Status" flashing RED on the adapter...

If the 1734-AENTR adapter is added new to your controller project, under the I/O Configuration, and there are no POINT I/O modules attached to the adapter, then there is no data to communicate on the POINTBus. You would see the POINTBus Status LED flashing RED. You must add at least one POINT I/O module to the adapter and reconfigure the chassis size for you project to match this. The chassis size is default "1" for the adapter. If you add one I/O module then the chassis size is "2", and so on. The chassis size must always be set to one more than the number of I/O modules that are present on the POINTbus.

Even if you have updated the chassis size in the project, have you made sure the adapter itself has been updated?...

To change the chassis size, add the physical I/O module(s) to the adapter (if not already fitted) and follow this guide, which I had previously written...

Geospark said:
...In RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer under Module Properties for the 1734-AENTx -

1. Offline from the controller, go to General>Change>Module Definition and change the Chassis Size as required, including "1" for the adapter itself. Add the modules you require under the adapter. Save and download this change to the controller. This just updates the controller I/O Configuration of the change.

2. Go Online with the controller and revisit the Module Properties for the 1734-AENTx. Double-check the downloaded change is still present under General>Change>Module Definition>Chassis Size. Then go to the Chassis Size tab and you should see that the Chassis Size in Module value, which should be looking at the adapter live, will be different from the General tab value. Then press the Set Chassis Size in Module button.

As the description to the left of the button explains, this button will update the chassis size in the actual adapter with the chassis size you have already updated and downloaded under the General tab. At this point both the controller and the adapter should now have been updated to reflect the same change.

Alternatively, if you do the General tab change offline and perform a download, then to update the actual adapter, you can access it live via its embedded web interface, or, you can access it live via RSLinx Classic/Module Properties (-AENT only, not -AENTR) and make the change. Either of these methods will update the configuration in the actual adapter.

Do let us know though what exactly you are installing so we can be more specific with the help.

Regards,
George

If this is new stuff, it might have shipped with the new Series C firmware (v6), in which case you need to downgrade it v5 using ControlFlash Plus (v3.10 is the newest) or install the new v6.011 Add-on profile (the newest FW version is 6.012, but they didn't put a link to the AOP on that version because they are incompetent).

In either case, make sure you go online and set the chassis size in the module from the button in the properties menu on the Chassis Size tab. Ridiculous that you have to do that manually, but you do.

I suppose we should also clarify whether the only adapter indicator in error is the "POINTBus Status" LED?

My understanding here was the following...

Module Status = ON solid Green
Network Activity = Flashing Green
Network Status = ON solid Green
POINTBus Status = Flashing Red
System Power = ON solid Green
Field Power = ON solid Green

Meaning they are all healthy except for the POINTBus indicator. "If" they are all healthy (other than POINTBus) then there is no issue with the adapter and its communications with the controller i.e. there is no issue with the Module Definition (AOP). The above status just means there is no POINTBus data available or there is a POINTBus issue. But further clarification will help us decide this.

I don't think it "ridiculous" to have to manually change the chassis size in the adapter. It is not part of the physical controller. It is distributed I/O. Downloading the offline edit just updates the controller so that it knows what size it is dealing with and to create the correct module-defined tags for the I/O count. But the separate device adapter still needs to be updated, somehow. As I pointed out, this can be done in a couple of ways. But they do give you the option to do it via the module definition, which is useful, in my opinion. They could have just left it so you must use RSLinx Classic or the adapter's webpage.

Editing the adapter instance while online is very similar to modifying a drive. Another device which is not a physical part of the controller. For instance, we can change and download drive settings in the project file, to the controller. But only when we are online do we then Download Parameters to the drive. Or vice-versa, we Match Drive to upload the live drive settings to the offline project and then must download the changes to the controller (PowerFlex 520 class drives do allow a Match Drive while online, though).

Changes made to local module definitions are automatically written to the modules over the backplane. But modules over the wire, they usually require further steps to propagate changes. Those steps can involve using methods outside of the programming environment, or using shortcut features provided inside the module definitions, while online. The "Set Chassis Size in Module" button, provided for the 1734-AENTR, is one such shortcut feature, which I find useful, as it saves me opening a web browser to change it.

That's just intended to give my perspective on the matter. You are perfectly entitled, though, to see it as ridiculous, if you so choose.

Regards,
George