RSLinx EDS file issue

AndyMtr

Hello, I have Windows 7 and a 64-bit system on my work laptop and I have a problem when RS Linx is trying to recognize a 1769-L32E processor. When I try to upload the eds file I get a windows registration error code 0x80070002. RS Linx's PLC behavior is that it stays with a question mark and I can't connect to it. I have done already a complete RS Logix reintall with all the features, but no luck. With another laptop works on win 7 with no probs. It is obvious that it is a Microsoft Windows problem. A clear image of the error is found on the pdf file attached. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

You need to register more than one EDS file for the CompactLogix to work properly in RSLinx. The Controller Module and the Ethernet Port EDS files need to be registered. Also the correct Revision of the EDS files have to be registered as well.

The "0001000C009E1400.eds" file that you got an error with is for the 1769-L32E Ethernet Port and just for Revision 20.
You can get all the CompactLogix EDS files up to v20 in one zip file here: AB KB Article: 26315.

Of course you can search out the individual EDS files you need for your controllers firmware revision, but I'd advise you to extract all the EDS files to one folder and register that folder, rather than registering files individually.

Make sure you're RSLinx application, or service is not running and also RSNetWorx if you use it. This helps prevent the error you received.

G.

I have failed to register the whole directory of 1769-L32E EDS files because on each file I get the same error described above and pictured in my pdf file. It seems Windows wouldn't let me register any eds files. I'm out of ideas, please help.

You can try and backup the config on the computer that is working, you will see the backup/restore utility under linx in your program files. Then restore that file to the computer that is not working. You will still have to load the EDS files.
You may want to make a backup copy of the config file on the computer that is not working, so you have the origional config.

iggy said:
You can try and backup the config on the computer that is working, you will see the backup/restore utility under linx in your program files. Then restore that file to the computer that is not working. You will still have to load the EDS files...

iggy,

The RSLinx Backup Restore Utility only backs up and restores your driver configuration. This is not a driver issue here. If a driver cannot browse to a device a Red X is displayed over the icon.

In the screenshot in the PDF you can see that the "AB_ETHIP-1, Ethernet" driver is browsing to the 1769-L32E at 10.1.1.21.
There is no Red X so RSLinx can see it, it just doesn't recognize it.

An "Unrecognized Device" will display a Yellow ? and is an EDS issue.

AndyMtr said:
I have failed to register the whole directory of 1769-L32E EDS files because on each file I get the same error described above and pictured in my pdf file. It seems Windows wouldn't let me register any eds files. I'm out of ideas, please help.

Andy,

Just so you know, that zip file contains the EDS files (up to revision 20) for the entire CompactLogix family, old and new, and not just the 1769-L32E.

I've not seen that EDS Wizard "windows system error" before, but if no EDS files are registering there is either something wrong with your Windows System or Rockwell Software.

Just to rule it out, is User Account Control (UAC) enabled on this laptop? Do you receive UAC prompts?

Can you check if this file exists:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\RSEDSDB.sdf

If you do have this file:

Can you please post a list of all Rockwell Software, including their versions, you are currently running on this laptop, and on the working laptop for comparison.

Include any of the following that you may have:

FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP)
RSLinx Enterprise (RSLE)
RSLinx Classic (RSLC)
RSLogix 5000 (RSL5K)
RSLogix 5000 Module Profiles
Studio 5000 (Studio5K)
RSNetWorx for DeviceNet/Ethernet
DeviceNet Tag Generator (DNET Tag Gen)
Connected Components Workbench (CCW)

If you do not have the RSEDSDB file then ignore that request.

Any other pertinent info you can provide as to your recent activities on this laptop, with regard to Rockwell Software installations, updates, or uninstalls, would also be useful. That also goes for Windows updates, or general Windows issues you may have noticed recently.

G.

I had a similar issue but mine was more related to RS Networx for devicenet. Turned out that because I was running Factory Talk View 7 I needed to update all of my software, not sure what version of Networx I was running.

Took 2 hours on the phone for tech support to tell me that, the worst part being that production lines were down the whole time.... lesson learnt never update one piece of software without testing all software afterwards.

Freak said:
...lesson learnt never update one piece of software without testing all software afterwards.

Afterwards is too late Freak!:cry:

A better lesson learned would be to investigate the compatibility between certain version of certain software before you install or update them. (y)

G.

Afterwards is too late Freak!:cry:

A better lesson learned would be to investigate the compatibility between certain version of certain software before you install or update them. (y)

G.
If Freak is anything like me, I checked and Rockwells matrix didn't state that you would have any issues. I installed CCW version 5 and upgraded to View 7.0 and saw the same thing. I too had a very long conversation with Tech Support. I had to uninstall all Rockwell Software and reinstall everything. Now it works fine.

Most people don't realize the major changes that Rockwell has done in a short amount of time. First the EDS system completely changed and are now part of SQL Express. Also with the new release of FTView 7.0, the tag database is in SQL Express now. This move appears to be a problem with the command server that FTView uses. Now button set ups that have worked for years and have been through several upgrades, lock up client PC's. All I get from Tech support is that I am using the button command wrong.

I don't know the cause but suspect that SQL Express is the major problem. I had some 3rd party EDS files cause some real issues. One of which changed all of my SLC5/05's to a different device in RSLinx.

Thanks guys

Iggy, thanks a lot man, it worked, after I have restored the rs linx configuration of the pc in which it worked from the first time into my work laptop that had that problem, boom, there it was, recognized. I didn't even had to load any EDS file. Thank you all for saving my life once. You're all heroes :)
Now I'm facing another issue with Factory Talk View ME 7.0 in which I can't create a runtime application from my project to download into a PanelView Plus 1000. During making of the runtime application it gives me this error: "Unable to save RSLinx Enterprise data server information. Would you like to continue creating the runtime file anyway?" I push the "yes" button and at the end of the process the runtime file is not created at all. I have a log file of the process that is attached. Please help again.

Well done iggy and my apologies for ruling your suggestion out. I'm still puzzled how the driver config fixed an unrecognized device? There's obviously more to it than meets the eye. But we live and learn and I'll certainly remember that one. (y)

While important to use it, I wasn't necessarily refering to the Compatibility Matrix.
The Matrix is a guide as to which Operating System platforms the Rockwell Software suite is compatible with, but unfortunately it doesn't get into which pieces of software are compatible with others within those Operating Systems.

You have to seek out that info by reading available release notes and kb articles for known anomalies and minimum required RS versions in advance of using the software. Granted that is still no guarantee that all will be well. But at least you've done some homework that might raise issues to make you think before installing.

But of course most of us have better things to be doing than all that and the software should work, and work better. That what upgrades should do.

Unfortunately there will nearly always be bugs not found during testing that end users become the first to run into. Patches/fixes and or next major or minor updates will usually address these, but you have to suffer during the interim period.

Andy,

That View Studio ME issue is covered here: KB Article 33994

You need a TechConnect contract to view.
If you can't view it, let me know and I or others can assist you.

EDIT: I got waylayed and dmargineau beat me there. :p

G.