How to configure IP for remote assistence of HC900 Controller - Honeywell

neerajpuranik

Dear Friends,
We have one HC900 controller in our manufacturing unit whose memory got currepted few days back. On contacting with Honeywell SA office we had been told that they can program it remotely. For that we have to connect it through ethernet & give IP address to them. Will anyone tell me what software & hardware I will require for it & how I will configure the IP address. As per honeywell, they use VPN-1 secure client for this purpose. Where can I find more information.
Regards,
Neeraj

I find this surprising. I know that an application program/configuration can be loaded via the ethernet port, and that firmware updates can be loaded via the ethernet port, but I faulted controller re-flashed over the a wide area network?

Are you sure you don't want to pull the controller out, ship it to whomever and let them reload it and test it?

The HC-900 has an ethernet port and a serial port.

The controller's IP address is set to 192.168.1.254 as a default at the factory, but the factory people know that. They need to know if the default IP has changed.

Did you program it? Did you change the IP address? If it was prgrammed by an integrator, find out from them if it was changed.

Is the controller's ethernet port connected to the plant network or to some other device, like an HMI or PC?

I'm not a network guru. I've used a VPN to reprogram an HC-900 remotely over the internet. The host company installed their VPN client on my laptop and provided me access with a log-in name & password.

There's some risk to reprogramming over a wide area network, becaue of lost connections.

You might reconsider letting the Honeywell do this for you.

Dan

Dear DANW,
Tnx for the reply. After posting we tried to google the same problem. There we came to know about the default address & the program required to change it is " Hybrid Control Utilities". By Luck I got " Hybrid Control Utilities version 4.101" on internet & downloaded it. With this program I was able to connect with HC900. When I saw the diagnostic files I found out that two of its analog modules are also showing faults but the processor & digita I/O modules are ok. It was also showing low battery indication. We also have Automation Direct Touch screen panel connected to it which was not working. So now I have ordered TP & spare battery from South Africa Honeywell. I was able to download program into controller & put into RUN mode with the software I have downloaded. Now as soon as I receive MMI & battery I will again try to findout what's the problem with AI & AO module which are showing error. Can you tell me how I can check this or right away order the same also. I have also changed the IP of my processor in case I need any assistence from Honeywell, SA. The guy's over there are really very co-operative.

Also attaching diagnostic files for your comments

The following files I have gotten using Hybrid Control Utilities:
Honeywell1.JPG

Honeywell2.JPG

Last edited:
Here's the explanation of a bad channel:
bad_channel-rack_diagnostics_pg_226_HCD.jpg

from pg 196 (pdf) in the HCD User Guide has the Function Block Monitor Window.

The on-line monitoring mode starts on page 190 (pdf) and runs through pg 197.

You have to be in the on-line 'monitor mode' to do this (HC powered, PC connected, HCD running, click the 'eye' icon)

Then right click the AI and AO function blocks to see which are mal-functioning.

The table of I/O faults is in the Installation & User Guide, pg 186
bad_I-O_channel_Diagnostics.jpg

I failed to mention it before, but an I/O error like an analog card does not warrant reloading the program or the firmware.

An HC-900's I/O is hot-swappable, so if the AI card is faulty, you can hot swap or cold swap it to fix the problem.

The control program is not at issue.

Dan