Allen Bradley Compact Logix to GE 90-30

Jerry1942

I have an application where I'm using an Allen Bradley CompactLogix plc that has to read registers in multiple GE Fanuc 90-30 plcs. The GE plcs talk to each other via a 'Genius' bus and communicate through an Ethernet hub to an HMI display. Any suggestions on what I need to do/get to enable communication between the AB plc and the GE plcs? NOTE: the cpu in the GE plcs is a 364

Jerry,
You will most probably have to install a communcation card in the CompactLogix and the GE that has a common Protocol. My suggestion would be DeviceNet as I know both of these PLC's support this protocol via additional cards. As far as the GE's go, you would be better off mapping the data from the individual GE's to one GE (via genius) and installing the DeviceNet card on this rack.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Andrew Butcher

Jerry,

Genius is a GE Fanuc proprietary network. To the best of my knowledge there is no CompactLogix interface to it.

What HMI are they using? Is there any way it could be used as a bridge between the 90-30s and the CompactLogix?

If you have room to add another module to one of the 90-30s, in addition to the DeviceNet option, there is an ethernet module that will support Modbus/TCP if the ControlLogix supports that. There is also a serial communications module that can be configured for Modbus RTU.