OT - Compensation above Salary

I would definitely push back on the overtime, they are (or should be) charging a higher rate from the end customer if you are working more than 40hrs a week and you should also be paid more than your normal rate

On the other hand, it's not really the client's problem if your company is under-staffed. A client shouldn't be charged overtime unless their own project's schedule is the direct cause of the requirement to work overtime.

On the other hand, it's not really the client's problem if your company is under-staffed. A client shouldn't be charged overtime unless their own project's schedule is the direct cause of the requirement to work overtime.

I have never had to work overtime on a 'quoted job' due to understaffing, most of the time (from what I have seen) is the customer saying it needs to be done this week or last week and they understand they need to pay a premium for expedited work, so if the quote is correct the work should be done in normal working hours and there would not be any overtime and under staffing is not a issue

Thanks for all the comments. It helped understand the "other" side of the business as well.

I don't think we charge any overtime to the actual customers, as like you said most of our work is a fixed quote and all employees are salaried. So that may be one reason we don't get paid OT ourselves.

Still not sure what I would do at this point. Thanks again for the input.

Since my last post, you have added a lot more insight to your situation.

You might want to go to the boss and point out to him all the standardization you have done for the company and the benefits he is now getting.

I didn't mean to imply in my last post that you were slow, these were the arguments my boss used when I asked for a raise. Finally got it after several overbudget projects and is was discovered they weren't mine and where the spending went.

james

I have never had to work overtime on a 'quoted job' due to understaffing, most of the time (from what I have seen) is the customer saying it needs to be done this week or last week and they understand they need to pay a premium for expedited work, so if the quote is correct the work should be done in normal working hours and there would not be any overtime and under staffing is not a issue

I agree. If a client requests an expedited work schedule, then they should expect to be charged overtime. My only point was that it's not the client's problem if a programmer is working overtime simply because they are attempting to do several projects at once, as the OP stated that he had been doing.

sounds like you are a big part of the business. Accountants and Lawyers become partners in the firm when they make it clear that they are effective enough at their jobs to go out on their own and become a threatening competitor.

You've got a couple of things going against you: You're salaried and you've waited (years) for this to become a problem.

All you can do is make your case for more compensation and ask. Otherwise, you've always got options: happily accept your employer, get another job, start your own shop, get a new career, homelessness, etc..

lol....I like some of your options.... one option I always seem to run across while driving the thousands of miles to startups is the guys that mow the interstate/highway grass. It seems like I always see them sleeping in the cab and not actually mowing. I am hoping that can be my next career move.

lol....I like some of your options.... one option I always seem to run across while driving the thousands of miles to startups is the guys that mow the interstate/highway grass. It seems like I always see them sleeping in the cab and not actually mowing. I am hoping that can be my next career move.

I have always rather admired the greeters at main entrance in a WalMart store! Now there is a dream job. How much less stress could you have in one day? Plus a cool blue vest to wear.