Priceing Simatic Step7 Floating License

eleganzase

I'm an AB programmer but were receiving new machines with Siemans S7-300's. I need to purchase Simatic Step7 Pro and was quoted $3250.00 per license and $650.00 per support contract. The part numbers are 6ES7810-5CC10-0YA5 and 6ES7810-5CC04-0YE2. Not too many prices on the web. Is this a good price?

The prices for the PRO and SUS packages seems like the normal at the moment. Neither more nor less expensive than normal.

I think that I shall mention that you do not absolutely need a support contract with Siemens as you do with AB. What you have been quoted is probably the Software Update Service (SUS) for STEP7.
You can contact Siemens for support free of charge. If the SUS contract is worth it is another matter. I have a SUS contract myself.

Thank you for the reply. Were looking forward to these new machines built by Langenpac in Holland. I'm been very impressed with I've seen so far.

I wish they were using AB from a training aspect, but the more I see of the Siemans the more I like it.

back from the dead...

So are the license fees annual or can I buy it once?

The floating license you buy once, for whatever version is currently available, and it lasts "forever". Currently this is either v5.6 or v15, depending on whether you use the old or new PLCs.

Siemens offers an SUS (software update service) that ensures that whenever new versions come out, your existing floating license gets upgraded. Or you can buy the upgrades each time you need them. Portal has had new versions come out about every year and a half for the past several years, but I haven't really done a comparison to see whether the SUS is cheaper or not. SUS is way easier to get through purchasing, and that's good enough for me.

I recently had a client inform me it was cheaper to buy a PG with the software already loaded, than buying the software. He needed both Classic and TIA.

As someone that has the latest Siemens PG on my desk, I don't think it's worth it.

The computer is bulky... proper bulky. It feels really flimsy too. If I drop it, it feels like it will break into a million pieces. The trackpad and buttons are poor even for windows machines standards, the keyboard is multi language which at times gets pretty confusing.

They have two independent network cards, RS-232 and MPI out of the box and you can buy them with all the licensing, but in my opinion (after seeing the license prices in the UK), I still think it's not worth it.

I think the PG, apart from the build quality, is a nice tool for the guy that will use it in the field, but programming in laptop format is definitely not a great experience and for similar money there are better laptops out there which are sufficient. Particularly if you don't need MPI or RS232 or already have the MPI converter.

I agree with cardosocea.
Get a powerful good quality laptop and a docking station for when you are not in the field.
And that your laptop is very rugged is not that important actually. Install all your software in a VM, and backup the VM at regular intervals. If your laptop dies, you get another laptop, load the VM and be up and running again quickly.

About the licenses:
If you only need STEP7 Classic for S7-300/400, just buy a single license.
If you need TIA for S7-1500 you should get the SUS contract. Siemens are releasing new TIA versions at a regular pace, and buying upgrades every year is much more expensive than the SUS contract.

And that your laptop is very rugged is not that important actually. Install all your software in a VM, and backup the VM at regular intervals. If your laptop dies, you get another laptop, load the VM and be up and running again quickly.

I would just add that if you do get the opportunity to match your laptop to whatever is used on remote sites you visit, it can save you. I was on a month long Ocean crossing when my laptop died two days in... the company used the same brand and family for their people and just gave me a spare. I popped the hard drive, put it in the new one, downloaded a couple of drivers and kept going until leaving.

I recently had a client inform me it was cheaper to buy a PG with the software already loaded, than buying the software. He needed both Classic and TIA.

Depends
If all he needs is the software (and any laptop)... which can be bundled or Combo (Step7 V5.6 and V15)
Then No...... a pg costs more

If your client needs
Step7 V5.6 and V15, Laptop PC with two NICs, mpi-dp adapter, prommer and rs232
Then yes- a pg is a better deal

BTW
I like my M5 Siemens PG
Use it everday

I have been told that the ab software and siemens software don't like each other and you should install the software on a vm or other pc.

I dont think thats it they dont like each other :) ... but I think its more of a resource issue both like to have their software always running in the background and want to control everything that the PC is doing because they know best.

I have them both ways but it does seem better when they are separated

I have been told that the ab software and siemens software don't like each other and you should install the software on a vm or other pc.

if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

james

My experience is that if Ethernet is your primary connection interface you should be fine. It's when multiple packages want (or won't give up) a serial port that you run into the most issues. That said, I use VMs to keep multiple versions of the same brand separate, so I definitely keep different brands apart as well.

As someone that has the latest Siemens PG on my desk, I don't think it's worth it.

The computer is bulky... proper bulky. It feels really flimsy too. If I drop it, it feels like it will break into a million pieces. The trackpad and buttons are poor even for windows machines standards, the keyboard is multi language which at times gets pretty confusing.

They have two independent network cards, RS-232 and MPI out of the box and you can buy them with all the licensing, but in my opinion (after seeing the license prices in the UK), I still think it's not worth it.

I think the PG, apart from the build quality, is a nice tool for the guy that will use it in the field, but programming in laptop format is definitely not a great experience and for similar money there are better laptops out there which are sufficient. Particularly if you don't need MPI or RS232 or already have the MPI converter.

I think it's still useful if you work with lots of 300s/400s, but if you work mainly with 1500s and Ethernet, the. It doesn't bring much extra to the table vs a standard high end laptop. Software discounts are nice, but not a deal breaker. Having a the software installed standard is nice, but you usually need to customize it or at least update it so that's not as great as it could be.

I think it's still useful if you work with lots of 300s/400s, but if you work mainly with 1500s and Ethernet, the. It doesn't bring much extra to the table vs a standard high end laptop. Software discounts are nice, but not a deal breaker. Having a the software installed standard is nice, but you usually need to customize it or at least update it so that's not as great as it could be.

It definitely can be useful, but for programming in an office setting with the occasional trip in the field, I don't think it's great value. But, considering this one was a gift from Siemens, I can't really complain too much.