PLC/SLC address convert to Logix

Phrog30

Does anyone know if a utility exists that will convert the syntax of SLC/PLC addressing into Logix, whether text, excel, etc.?

I have exported the ASCII database from a PLC5 program and would like to convert it from "B3:1/15" to "B3[1].15" in a click of the mouse. I was able to use search and replace, but it misses things, depending on bit or word level, timers, counters, etc.

James

I would like some excel gurus to help with this also. I have having the same issue. Can't get excel search and replace to do what I need to do to convert this SLC address to CLX.

Nxx:xx to Nxx[xx] but need to maintain the numbers so I don't have to do a bunch of search and replace for N16, N17 etc.. Can easily search and replace the : to [ but can't add the ] to the end of the replace.

Booleans were easy to search for : [ then / with ].

Last edited:
B3:1/15 convert to B3[1].15

Use the following formula in excel:

=SUBSTITUTE((SUBSTITUTE(A3,"/","].")),":","[")

Where A3 is the cell of the original address.

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

I forgot to mention, I am doing this for Wonderware. So the galaxy dump puts all of these address in 1 row that is a mile long. A6, B6 ---- all the way to BBX6

Excel + VBA could do this pretty quickly, but if you aren't a VBA guru then gclshortt's suggestion works.

OR

Use the mapping function in the Logix program and don't touch WW. (Doesn't work w/strings from what I remember, so you'll have to fix that if you are referencing string tags in WW).

Back in the day, I used KEDIT (a file editor) for this.
That was the DOS days, and KEDIT was the best thing going, for line editing.
You could tell it, for example, to change "the third comma in every line to a 'x' ', and such commands.
Very helpful

It's been a while but I believe the Translate Tool in RSLogix 5000 takes care of this for you.

**Never mind. I started to reply and then stepped away for an hour before finishing.

Last edited:
Can't get the file uploaded since it is a .csv

I did originally try the SLC/PLC mapping in the CLX but the DAServer just stays in (20:Initializing)