3-dimensional matrix programming

coibarra

Hello All!

I'm using an Allan-Bradley PLC (ControlLogix L61) and would like to know if its possible to make a 3 dimensional matrix. I want to populate each cell (i.e. 10x10x10 would have 100 cells with predefined values) and I would like the program to be able to pull the value from the cell depending on what the user input is.
Example: a 10x10x10 matrix is populated by me with 100 random values. I would like to pull the value from the [5,4,3] spot at my command.

This will get me basic functionality of my end goal but I might be able to finish it up if I know where to start.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The general answer is "yes, you can do that". ControlLogix tag arrays can contain up to three dimensions.

The syntax is exactly as you describe:

"MyDataArray[3,4,5]" is a reference to the data element with offset [3] in the first dimension, offset [4] in the second dimension, and offset [5] in the third dimension.

You can also use a Tag in place of any of the array index values;

XDim := 3 ;
YDim := 4;
ZDim := 5;

MyDataArray[XDim,YDim,ZDim] is the same as MyDataArray [3,4,5].

When using array tags, I always limit-check my index values to be sure they are in the range of the array, so that I don't inadvertently fault the controller by forgetting that a ten-element array has elements 0 through 9 and no element 10.

And because it's not totally intuitive; you create an array by entering a Data Type with the array dimensions in square brackets.

Create a tag and make the data type "DINT[10,10,10]" and you'll have a three-dimensional array with 1000 elements total.

This might be easier than I was expecting. My ultimate goal is to use 3 live values from three different processes to define the location in the multi-dimensional array. Pull that value and hold that value until the next reading.

This might be easier than I was expecting. My ultimate goal is to use 3 live values from three different processes to define the location in the multi-dimensional array. Pull that value and hold that value until the next reading.

As we say over here, "as easy as falling off a log".

You can have arrays of 1, 2, or 3 dimensions of any data-type, including structure UDT tags.

The only limitation is the maximum size of a single array tag cannot exceed 2MBytes !!

Just watch out for those indices, a 120 element array dimensions go from 0 to 199. I often create them 1 bigger than needed, and use 1 to 200, for example, wasting the "0" locations.

Having said that, they are sometimes very useful, eg. to hold "zero-filled" data that can easily be COP'd or CPS'd into another location to clear it.

I've even used the "0" location in a recipe array as en "edit buffer", so the operator never edits the source data, and only commits it once he's finished editing.