Import Alarm Triggers in FactoryTalk View ME?

rupej

I know how to use excel to copy+paste alarm triggers is the "Messages" tab of the alarm editor, but how the heck do you import the alarm triggers themselves?

The only way I can see is to manually click "Add" and type in the new trigger tag for EVERY single alarm. Does anyone know of a better way? o_O

I know how to use excel to copy+paste alarm triggers is the "Messages" tab of the alarm editor, but how the heck do you import the alarm triggers themselves?

The only way I can see is to manually click "Add" and type in the new trigger tag for EVERY single alarm. Does anyone know of a better way? o_O

Process Objects has a nifty tool called Alarm Builder. It obviously is built around the Process Objects standards, but it allows for mass generation of alarms to a specific standard.

Edit, also, the ACM software, Application Code Manager, which is free to download, allows you to build libraries, in which you can pre-define the alarms you require for instantiation.

Last edited:
I use bit trigger.
I create a tag like HMI_Alarms that is Dint[5].
My alarm trigger is HMI_Alarm[0],L5 and trigger valve is 1

My alarm trigger is HMI_Alarm[0],L5 and trigger valve is 2
My alarm trigger is HMI_Alarm[0],L5 and trigger valve is 161

Edit just getting back into FTME so I hope this is correct.

HTH

So I have an array of an alarm UDT that has a single bit "Active" that goes high when an alarm is active:

{[CompactLogix]Alarm[1].Active}
{[CompactLogix]Alarm[2].Active}
{[CompactLogix]Alarm[3].Active}
{[CompactLogix]Alarm[4].Active}

So to put these into FTVME, I need to add a trigger for each bit, and I have about 1000 of them. I would really prefer to do this in excel and then import if there is a way!

Last edited:
It's not pretty, but the only way I know how to do this is to export the alarms and triggers as xml, edit the text, and import it back in.

If you right click on "Alarm Setup" and select Import/Export, it's relatively straight forward.

Unfortunately xml is the only format.

It's not pretty, but the only way I know how to do this is to export the alarms and triggers as xml, edit the text, and import it back in.

If you right click on "Alarm Setup" and select Import/Export, it's relatively straight forward.

Unfortunately xml is the only format.
THANK YOU!!! That was my problem, didn't know to right-click on 'Alarm Setup'! I swear, I couldn't find it anywhere in the help files or googling.

You're right, editing with xml was painful but still wayyyyyyy better than the alternative!