Big SCADA system

jimtech67

This question might be a little off topic for this forum but I figure I will give it a try.

I am looking for a SCADA system that uses the DNP 3.0 protocal and handles a large amount of tags
Analog inputs about 57,000 points
Analog outputs about 20,000 points
Digital inputs about 32,000 points
Digital control outputs about 11,000 points

Thanks

GO JETS

Hi

Instead of searhing after a SCADA vendor that supports DNP 3.0 protocol, you could maybe search after a OPC server for DNP 3.0 and a SCADA vendor that have a OPC client. It may increase your choice.

A search on Google with "DNP 3.0 OPC" brought up for instance this OPC server:
http://www.matrikon.com/drivers/details.asp?NameListID=925

We are using Factory Link from USData:
http://www.usdata.com/solution/factorylink.html

It have licenses from 75 I/O tags - 1200 Totals Tags to Unlimited I/O and Total Tags. And having a OPC Client.

Regards

National Instruments Lookout.

Handles DNP 3.0 and has OPC service. Can get unlimited I/O package. The nice thing here is the package size is based on PHYSICAL I/O connections not TAGS so, unlike many others (wonderware for example) you don't have to pay for your internal data. Just beware, and it doesn't sound like it applies to your application, that paging and email connections represent PHYSICAL I/O so you need to count those.

Try it you'll like it.

Lenny

We use CiTect. Everything built in no extra modules or add-ons or drivers to buy. Can handle vast amount of tags, is scalable. Redundant set-ups and yadda yadda yadda.
Check it out. If you want more send me an email.

I have heard of a Citect project that uses around 500,000 I/O.
I think it was their "Olimpic Dam" project if I can remember correctly.
So it should be able to handle the numbers you need, and it supports most protocols.
Check out www.citect.com

Doug
(Biased Citect Fan)

Last edited:
One SCADA package that I think of for handling large amounts of I/O is ICONICS (http://www.iconics.com)

I've personally never used them, only have seen demos, but they look pretty good. Their claim to fame (or at least size) is something like the "Trans-Siberian pipeline", which had something like 150,000 discrete and analog points.

From working with Wonderware, Intellution, and RSView, those systems tend to choke when the tag count gets to be too big (10,000+ tags). I haven't worked with Citech, so I can't comment either way.

Good luck, and post again with your decision and how it worked out. It can be tough filtering through the sales reps' claims of expandability. You don't need huge SCADA systems often, but when you do, you don't want to buy into one that can't deliver.

Have a good look at Citec. Everything IS built in with the exception of the odd PLC manufacturer who wants a licence fee every time their ptocol is used. Guess who one of them is?
Citect in Australia did the Olympic Dam site themselves. My understanding is that there were over 1 million tags. I do not know of any other "unlimited" package that will do that job.
If you check www.citect.com, there may even be a write up on the job. It was very extensive with lots of servers, alarm servers and report servers etc. Lots of dialling up PLCs and PLCs dialling the Citect servers.
Have used it quite a bit and it is very good. Supports VB, CTAPI, ActibeX etc.
beerchug