complete PLC, I/O, & HMI virtualization?

Alaskan

What I would like to do is to take the program for my SLC5/03 and run that on my PC, including having proper I/O, and a bonus would be to also have a virtual HMI running on the same PC that would accept the PV550 program. The idea is to run everything on the PC for program and HMI development purposes.

I have googled for it, and I have come across any number of PLC simulators (and I have seen the plctalk one as well), but that's not quite what I am looking for.

I have also read that some simulate I/O by using the unused memory space within the SLC to include I/O simulation instructions, but again, not quite what I am looking for.

Ideally what I am looking for is something that will allow me to load in the SLC program, allow me to specify the input type (analog/digital), allow me to adjust inputs values in real time to trigger events, allow me to label inputs and outputs (pure convinience, I know), and a cherry on top would be if there was a virtual HMI to simulate the PV so that I am actually able to click something that says F1 on the PC screen and it will take whatever action pressing F1 on the PV would initiate and at the same time provide the same display that the PV would show.

Alternatively it would be alright if the virtual PLC would interface with PanelBuilder for PV functionality.

The virtual PLC doesn't have to be an editor, I'd just use RSLogix500 for edits and such, all that's needed is to be able to run the program, and adjust inputs without having to deal with any hardware at all.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. ;)

Emulate will work -- but you'll have to write some simulation code to make it happen. It doesn't know what to do with real I/O, so you have to simulate it. You won't find anything that will work without sim-code.

RSTestStand will allow you to simulate your poject. It allows you to build a virtual control panel with indicator lights, pushbuttons, digital displays and much more. You can also simulate the response of PID loops.

RSLogix Emulate 500 will emulate the SLC 5/03. I don't know of any simulation software that will allow you to run your panelbuilder file.

Here, we have RSLogix500 Professional which includes RSLogix Emulate 500. And, the RSLogix500 editor includes "Custom Graphical Monitors" which allow some pretty nice ways to display addresses in a variety of forms. The CGM is not quite as good as a separate HMI but can be very helpful in certain situations, plus, the CGM, like the CDM (Custom Data Monitor) gets saved with the RSLogix500 file.

As others have stated, you will have to add logic to simulate your inputs. The emulate software will happily update the outputs for you, but there would be nothing to cause inputs to change states. So, for example, if you turn on an output called "CYLINDER A EXTEND SV", and your program is waiting for "CYL. A EXTENDED PROX" to go true, you will want to add logic that monitors the output and after a simulated period of time turns on the corresponding input.

I have done this with large programs in which I needed to thoroughly test things. It is best to put all of your simulation logic in separate ladder files, (be sure to add JSRs) and to use newly created data tables where required so that when you are done, you can delete them and the JSRs, without worrying about disturbing the original control program.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, much appreciated.
I will need to look into upgrading my RSLogix 500 version 6 Starter Edition to something more recent that does include Emulate. RSTestStand seems to be a bit more elusive. Perhaps it's just me, but the AB website is less than optimal when it comes to actually finding information.

OkiePC said:
RSLogix Emulate 500 will emulate the SLC 5/03. I don't know of any simulation software that will allow you to run your panelbuilder file.

Here, we have RSLogix500 Professional which includes RSLogix Emulate 500. And, the RSLogix500 editor includes "Custom Graphical Monitors" which allow some pretty nice ways to display addresses in a variety of forms. The CGM is not quite as good as a separate HMI but can be very helpful in certain situations, plus, the CGM, like the CDM (Custom Data Monitor) gets saved with the RSLogix500 file.

As others have stated, you will have to add logic to simulate your inputs. The emulate software will happily update the outputs for you, but there would be nothing to cause inputs to change states. So, for example, if you turn on an output called "CYLINDER A EXTEND SV", and your program is waiting for "CYL. A EXTENDED PROX" to go true, you will want to add logic that monitors the output and after a simulated period of time turns on the corresponding input.

I have done this with large programs in which I needed to thoroughly test things. It is best to put all of your simulation logic in separate ladder files, (be sure to add JSRs) and to use newly created data tables where required so that when you are done, you can delete them and the JSRs, without worrying about disturbing the original control program.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Do you need a seperate activation for RS Emulate or will the 500 one work?

It required a separate activation key. We bought the RSLogix Pro Bundle which included Emulate and all three flavors of RSNetworx. Mine was done with the FactoryTalk Activation method.

keep in mind that there are SOME things that the emulator will NOT run ... PID is one example ... this has been covered on the forum before ... my distinguished colleague Mickey will probably be along shortly with a list of what IS and what is NOT supported ...

Ron Beaufort said:
keep in mind that there are SOME things that the emulator will NOT run ... PID is one example ... this has been covered on the forum before ... my distinguished colleague Mickey will probably be along shortly with a list of what IS and what is NOT supported ...

I think I have looked for that before, but not much out there
that will tell you what it can't do. Below is a getting started
PDF , a release note and a thread about it. Hope this helps.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/emulat-gr002_-en-p.pdf

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rockwellautomation.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=CNPQ4l9j&p_li=&p_accessibility=&p_redirect=&p_tbl=9&p_id=24239&p_created=1159081653&p_olh=0

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=27171&highlight=RSEmulate

Last edited: