How to filter/search for boolean description contained within a DINT in Studio 5000?

hardaysknight

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was just curious if there is a way to search for a description of a boolean contained within a DINT/INT.

For instance, I have a DINT[1] named B332. Within that DINT, I have a boolean B332[0].17 with the description "Start Actuator".

Under the controller tags, I have my filter set to "Filter on both name and description", but I cannot simply search for "Start Actuator". I was wondering if there was any way I could possibly do this?

So, you are right in that it won't do this. I think that is on purpose.

I suspect that the reason behind this is because if you assign a description to a tag, that description passes through to all the sub elements of that tag. If you had a description assigned to B332, then by default all bools underneath it would carry that same description. This would make the filter a cluttered mess. Perhaps an option you could switch on and off to search sub elements would make sense. But we don't have that yet.

You can use the Search ==> Find option (CTRL + F) to search for Start Actuator. That does work and it will take you to the tag in the tag window. Not as good as the filter, but it works.

Note that by default the Search does not search descriptions. Click on the Find Within button and you can select where it should and should not search. That is a computer setting so once you configure it you won't have to come back to it each time.

OG

So, you are right in that it won't do this. I think that is on purpose.

I suspect that the reason behind this is because if you assign a description to a tag, that description passes through to all the sub elements of that tag. If you had a description assigned to B332, then by default all bools underneath it would carry that same description. This would make the filter a cluttered mess. Perhaps an option you could switch on and off to search sub elements would make sense. But we don't have that yet.

You can use the Search ==> Find option (CTRL + F) to search for Start Actuator. That does work and it will take you to the tag in the tag window. Not as good as the filter, but it works.

Note that by default the Search does not search descriptions. Click on the Find Within button and you can select where it should and should not search. That is a computer setting so once you configure it you won't have to come back to it each time.

OG

Oddly enough, if I try to search (CTRL+F) within the controller tags window, this does not work.

I have to have a routine opened for this to work for some reason.

Even stranger is that after I ran the search with the routine opened, I went back to the controller tags window, and tried again and it worked...

Oddly enough, if I try to search (CTRL+F) within the controller tags window, this does not work.

I have to have a routine opened for this to work for some reason.

Even stranger is that after I ran the search with the routine opened, I went back to the controller tags window, and tried again and it worked...

Having it work the first time is actually an extra $4500/yr subscription

It worked for me the first time. I don't think I'm paying extra :ROFLMAO:

I tried it without having any logic open and only the controller tag window open. Didn't have an issue. The version I was using was 28.03. Maybe a different version behaves differently. That was just the version I had open at the time.

But pay attention to the Find Where option in that search window. If you are in a logic window, then it wants to just search the logic. If you are in a tag window, it will just search through the tags. It dynamically changes based on the active window. If no window is open, then you can select to search logic or tags.

OG

Last edited: