FTView HMI tags; Migration 9 -> 12

cjjeeper

I am looking for some suggestions on the best course of action for migrating my customers FTView SE Distributed project from v9 to v12.

The previous version of the project (v9) used ALL HMI tags for graphics and alarms.

I have the app restored to v12 and now I need to migrate the Alarms to the A&E server. There are utilities for that so more or less straight forward.

That leaves me with the HMI tag DB. There are about 100 graphics that use HMI tags for the data connections. I could now use the local graphics (ME Station graphics) and bring them into SE for any updates now and into the future but that would mean one of two things:
#1 - create additional topics in RSLinx for the imported graphics to make direct connects (that could end up being about 15 new topics) and maintain an app with graphics that have local HMI tags and direct connect tags
OR
#2 - migrate all of the HMI tag DB to direct connect tags and update all the graphics.

I see there is a utility for converting the graphics from HMI tags to direct connect and I downloaded it but there is obviously a step missing in the documentation where the existing tag gets mapped to the direct PLC address. (has anyone used this?). Without that step it does nothing. Seems odd they completely left that out....

What is your suggestion? go with option #1 because the rework is not worth it? or go with #2 because it is easier than I think and obviously the cleaner long term solution.

I appreciate all the input in advance.

Thinking a bout SE V9 to SE V12.....

Migrate the alarm tags to the A&E server - because you have to.

But there's no need to get rid of the HMI tag database for the graphics and modify 100+ screens you can still use it (I am in SE V13)....you don't need to direct address the screens. In my experience there's a slight update/speed difference on the screen between using direct addressing and HMI tags (HMI tags are slower) but it's nothing major.