Panelview 5310 to Compact Logix 5370 Time Synchronisation

JasonWade

Does anyone know how to synchronise the time between these two?

I had thought that the HMI could write a LINT (time/date in microsecronds) to the PLC, but now I find that the 5x70 range can't properly handle LINT types.

So the only way I know now, is;

1. Add 7 Data input fields on the HMI (Y,M,D,H,M,S,uS)
  2. Add a 'WRITE PLC TIME' button
  3. Use an SSV to set the PLC time
  4. Compile a DATA string and a TIME string in the PLC
  5. Have the HMI read these strings and set its own time/date with the HMI system tags

This seems an awfully long winded workaround. Anyone know a better way?

Does anyone know how to synchronise the time between these two?

I had thought that the HMI could write a LINT (time/date in microsecronds) to the PLC, but now I find that the 5x70 range can't properly handle LINT types.

So the only way I know now, is;

1. Add 7 Data input fields on the HMI (Y,M,D,H,M,S,uS)
  2. Add a 'WRITE PLC TIME' button
  3. Use an SSV to set the PLC time
  4. Compile a DATA string and a TIME string in the PLC
  5. Have the HMI read these strings and set its own time/date with the HMI system tags

This seems an awfully long winded workaround. Anyone know a better way?

Hi, I'm not sure about the 5310, however another member on the forum here gave me a time/date stamp routine for Rockwell. One could then move that final value into an HMI numerical indicator. The routine uses "Wall Clock" in Rockwell. If you want it I'll PM it to you. I think I was using V. 20.04 and PV 7. Hope this helps.
I used it to do exactly that, write a time to the HMI, and also I had to make 6 histories of previous times that were sent into the HMI screen that needed this time history. Obviously you wouldn't need history, just real time showing in the numerical display.

Hi thanks for the reply, however I think the solution for the PV+ doesn't work for the PV5000 range

I do have some code for this combination (using SSV to set the controller time), but as I say, it's long winded and clunky (the HMI needs extra time/date fields).

Hi thanks for the reply, however I think the solution for the PV+ doesn't work for the PV5000 range

I do have some code for this combination (using SSV to set the controller time), but as I say, it's long winded and clunky (the HMI needs extra time/date fields).

Page 66 of the manual explains how to set the time and time zone. Perhaps since the processor is synced to PC time and the PC usually comes from the internet then one could set the time on the 5310 as per instructions and that would match with the PLC.
This seems awfully difficult to just get a time display on an HMI.

Page 66 of the manual explains how to set the time and time zone. Perhaps since the processor is synced to PC time and the PC usually comes from the internet then one could set the time on the 5310 as per instructions and that would match with the PLC.
This seems awfully difficult to just get a time display on an HMI.

I didn't properly explain WHY I'm doing this;

As far as I know no tag based alarms are possible on this PLC, so I am using ALMD instructions (in the PLC) to generate alarms on the HMI. These alarms are logged in the HMI with a PLC clock timestamp (I think?).

So the PLC time needs to be accurate, when it drifts, it needs to be settable from the HMI.

The HMI already has pre-defined pages for setting its clock, so if there was a simple way to have the PLC adopt the HMI time, this seems like plan A.

Plan B I already have (as described above)