Using 1756-RIO to read weigh scale indicator?

TheIndian

Can you use the 1756-RIO to read values from a weigh scale with a RS-232 port? I am looking into trying to bring in data from the weigh scale that has a bidirectional RS-232 port.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The 1756-RIO is a scanner module for the old proprietary Allen-Bradley Universal I/O network. There are several A-B platforms that used that protocol and wiring, and dozens of third-party devices that integrated adapters and plugs that used it, including weigh scales.

But it's not the same as RS-232. You would need a programmable device (I can think of a handful, none of them modern, cheap or powerful) to bridge between the RIO network and the RS-232 port.

There are many EtherNet/IP based gateway devices that would be less expensive, faster, and easier ways to connect between a ControlLogix and a weigh scale with an RS-232 port.

The HMS Communicator is cost-effective and flexible.

Red Lion, Prosoft, Hilscher, and Real Time Automation are all popular vendors of similar devices.