Poll for UL508A MTR Test Results

How did you do on the UL508A MTR Test? (Private results, so be honest)

• Passed this on the first try.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Failed on the first attempt, but passed on the second attempt.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Failed on two attempts.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
See the attached doc.

I would assume you need to be a current ul customer for the registration to work.

Edit: file is to large. I’ll have to zip it Monday or Tuesday.

See the attached doc.

I would assume you need to be a current ul customer for the registration to work.

Edit: file is to large. I’ll have to zip it Monday or Tuesday.

FYI: PDFs will not compress much, if at all, into a .ZIP; if it's not a PDF it might work.

I know this is an old thread, but I found it with a Google search, and since I was just now (finally) took the exam, I figured I'd go ahead and comment.

Are you getting all questions at once? Or you won't proceed to next question unless you provide answer to the current one?
Do you know immediately if you answer is correct?

PaulB

The questions are given one at a time and you have to answer them before moving on to the next one. You can't go back and change an answer, and it does not allow you to review your answers at the end. You never get confirmation as to whether you answered a question correctly or not; you only get a final score that tells what percentage you got right.

My wish is that they would show you which ones you got wrong and what the correct answer is. I understand that this is probably by design since they allow a second attempt... but they should give the option to see the corrections after passing the complete exam. I think it would make for a good learning experience. I mean, let's face it, we answered the questions with what we thought was right -- it only makes sense to point out our mistakes so that we can learn from them.

One thing to know, for those who have not taken it recently, the format has changed since the requirement was first introduced. Instead of all 80 questions at once, they are split up into four sections; each consisting of 20 questions. You have two hours to complete each section and two attempts for each.

I never took the original, but can only imagine that this will make it much easier for people since you can concentrate on each section before moving on to the next. It also seems better for UL being that, in the old format, someone could ace the first three sections and then only have to answer 4 of the 20 SCCR questions correctly to pass. The new format ensures that you understand each section equally.

Hello. For those still wondering about the exam and how difficult it is, let me tell you from someone that has no formal engineering experience and has worked strictly with low voltage. Our company received UL 508A certification in 2012 under the leadership of an electrical engineer whom is no longer with our company. We have built the same 3 different cookie cutter OEM panels since then with little or no variation to each build since receiving certification. I am not an engineer nor have any high voltage experience.

From my perspective, this exam was frustrating. In my opinion, the 508A standard is written by engineer's for engineer's and can be difficult to comprehend if you do not have any prior working knowledge, education, or training in electrical engineering. It constantly refers to other parts of the standard that will have you flipping back and forth constantly. You can study the standard all you want it probably will not help you when it comes to the formulas required to figure out the high voltage or the sccr questions.

Not being able to know which questions I got wrong was cruel on UL's part. I would have liked to have known just to look up the answers on my own, as opposed to being given the answer or have to study the part of the standard all over again. We are paying them after all, to ensure the standard is enforced. Now we are paying them to certify and employee as an MTR to do the UL inspectors job?

In my frustration and disappointment in not being able to pass the exam, I could very well see some people loosing their job because they could not pass this exam, whom are much like myself. Fortunately, my company has decided to switch standards to 60947, which does not require an exam or MTR certification.

Just my thoughts and gripes on the 508a exam. Moving on.