Poll: Drawing size

Rson

Just curious what the 'standard' is where you are.

I assume 11 x 17 (or A3 for ISO people) is standard, but I could be wrong.

My shop was using 24 x 36 drawings and printing them on a roll. This is extremely cumbersome for electrical drawings - especially when there are 20+ sheets to a set. I get it - the drawings are 'designed' on a 24 x 36 sheet of paper, but we shouldn't have to print them that large!

I have advocated for printing them to 11 x 17 sheets for the panel shop and assembly drawings and requiring text to be no smaller than 0.125" on a D size sheet. This saves an incredible amount of time in the printing process and are much easier to handle.

Appreciate the input.

I do electrical drawings and mostly for small panels. The schematics are often just fine on letter paper for our little telemetry panels, but often I use 11" x 17" especially if it is a larger panel just to keep the page count from growing too much. Anything larger than 11" x 17" is cumbersome in real life when those prints are needed for troubleshooting by a technician.

My minimum text size is 0.060". I am old and eyesight not good, but with my readers I can read that size text fine. 0.050 is barely legible to me. I use larger text for dimensions on panel layout drawings and for notes, but the 0.06 is readable and compact for wire numbers, device names, etc.

We don't have a plotter or printer that handles larger paper or I might do larger drawings of things like panel layouts. As it is now, I just scale them 1:4, plot them on tabloid (11 x 17) paper and put a lot of dimensions on them for the guys that fab them to read.

Last edited:
Most of our drawings end up being ARCH-D (24" x 36") which usually translates well to 11" x 17" when you don't want to deal with full-size drawings.

We are almost exclusively 11x17 for everything. One thing that helps is that when we create pdf files of schematics the from/to arrows are actually links that jump to the corresponding location on in the drawing.

We use solid works electrical for our schematics.

We are almost exclusively 11x17 for everything. One thing that helps is that when we create pdf files of schematics the from/to arrows are actually links that jump to the corresponding location on in the drawing.

We use solid works electrical for our schematics.

Yep, I love that feature. Elwin does it as well.

All of our panel drawings are A4. Similar to US letter size. Convenient for bringing along in a small back pack or standard size laptop bag.

We started out using 24 x 36 drawings on blueprint paper, we then got an 11x17 printer and printed the drawing to it. only minor adjustments to the text size template (approx 1 hr). we were good to go from that point on. draw the print for a 24 x 36 then print to an 11x17. the customer could request either.
regards,
james

All of our panel drawings are A4. Similar to US letter size. Convenient for bringing along in a small back pack or standard size laptop bag.

That seems to be the standard European approach: smaller pages with less stuff packed into each one. I like it but everyone around seems to prefer A3/Tabloid/B/11X17 inch size

As a system integrator doing mainly control & power panel design, we would use AutoCAD & setup the drawings scaled to 24” x 36” then usually printed them out as 11” x 17” for our use.

If another contractor or engineering was needed our drawings they could plot them as 24” x 36” if that was what they were comfortable with using.