Possible to use wifi adapter as hotspot?

kckku

So my company decided to kill Wifi on the shop floor because the mechanics were all watching YouTube or soccer/football games.

The factory is like a black hole and I can't get any good data connection from my cell phone provider. Is there a way to use my laptop Wifi signal (the only device still allowed on company Wifi) with a Wifi hotspot tethered to my laptop's wifi?

IT blocked the setting to allow the laptop to be used as a mobile hotspot so that option is out. The only way I can think of is to use an USB adapter of some sort of a third party hotspot device.

So my company decided to kill Wifi on the shop floor because the mechanics were all watching YouTube or soccer/football games.

The factory is like a black hole and I can't get any good data connection from my cell phone provider. Is there a way to use my laptop Wifi signal (the only device still allowed on company Wifi) with a Wifi hotspot tethered to my laptop's wifi?

IT blocked the setting to allow the laptop to be used as a mobile hotspot so that option is out. The only way I can think of is to use an USB adapter of some sort of a third party hotspot device.

It should be possible, but it's going to be dependent on how locked down your laptop is. There should be some settings for "bridged networking" that you should be able to use for a third party network device. I've used this before to access a mobile hotspot device where the plant network didn't reach.

Keep in mind that this might violate your companies security policies, and it probably trackable to your specific laptop/logon. Use at your own risk, and think carefully if it's worth it.

Are there hardwired ethernet ports out on the floor with the internet access you need? You can probably just plug in a portable access point when you need it, and then remove it when you aren't on the floor. I have one of these that I use for wireless access to various things when I need to have my laptop further away from the ethernet port than I want to string a cable across.

https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-wd009-filehub

If the problem is that employees watch videos on their personal devices, the solution for me is easy, it is how it works in my work:

Change the password of the company's WiFi, a password that only IT department administrators know (at my work not even the CEO knows it) and if a company device needs to connect to WiFi, an administrator has to go to configure it

If the problem is that employees watch videos on their personal devices, the solution for me is easy, it is how it works in my work:

Change the password of the company's WiFi, a password that only IT department administrators know (at my work not even the CEO knows it) and if a company device needs to connect to WiFi, an administrator has to go to configure it

My company has really been dropping the hammer lately on even the smallest things. This week it was no more folding tables out on the factory floor because people were using these as storage. Nobody cares that we (programmers) use these when we are out commissioning equipment or working on projects.

You have to take it up with your manager that you need the tools necessary to do your job.

I hear you. People that don't do any programming work or have any idea what it takes to do our jobs has taken over the company. Our IT policies have gone off the rails. We can no longer have administrator access to run software that we need to use. Instead we must put in an IT ticket to request temporary administrator access so I can run simulation software, etc.

The latest is taking away Wifi access on the production floor and taking away our programming tables.

Every request to make sense of this has gone unanswered. It's almost like they want people to quit. Let's see how much punishment these guys can take.

Why is the company having operating hours during football/soccer games?

And the big tourney's (Euro and World Cup) are only every 2 years...
Surely the company can deal with a month of terrible production numbers every couple of years.

Realistically, if you operators are watching on WIFI, they will still watch on mobile data too. Phones needs to be taken away or at least out of hands during production.

Or better yet... more automation...Robots dont watch tv, or take breaks, or need WSIB... >:)

We can no longer have administrator access to run software that we need to use. Instead we must put in an IT ticket to request temporary administrator access so I can run simulation software, etc.
Spam them with requests every single day. When they don't grant you the permission immediately you just record that in your own support ticket report. Then kick your feet up and wait. If a boss sees you doing nothing, tell him why.

I think a lot of IT departments need a reminder that they work FOR a company.
They don't run it...

Spamming request should work.. especially when you start CC'ing the boss/owner on them. Usually gets things moving faster..

(be sure to clear you browser history and backup everything before you do)

IT departments do not seem to understand that they are overhead, and that the money is made elsewhere, and it is their job to ensure they maximize that cash flow, which includes not inhibiting the flow in any way.

I hear you. People that don't do any programming work or have any idea what it takes to do our jobs has taken over the company. Our IT policies have gone off the rails. We can no longer have administrator access to run software that we need to use. Instead we must put in an IT ticket to request temporary administrator access so I can run simulation software, etc.

The latest is taking away Wifi access on the production floor and taking away our programming tables.

Every request to make sense of this has gone unanswered. It's almost like they want people to quit. Let's see how much punishment these guys can take.

send it every 5 minutes.. a NEW ticket, with the previous ticket's numbers attached and in the notes that nothing has been done, immediate access is needed.

Be Evil-Compliant.

How long is the temporary admin access? 30 minutes or some stupidity? Repeate until IT surrenders because they can't deal with dozens of requests a day.

send it every 5 minutes.. a NEW ticket, with the previous ticket's numbers attached and in the notes that nothing has been done, immediate access is needed.

Be Evil-Compliant.

How long is the temporary admin access? 30 minutes or some stupidity? Repeate until IT surrenders because they can't deal with dozens of requests a day.

The temporary admin access lasts 7 days. I put a reminder on my calendar to make a request once per week one day before so I don't get my admin access interrupted. Still annoying for sure.

Our corporate IT department has taken over pretty much everything. We used to have a local IT department at our plant that was way more flexible. Since then they have been downsized so they hardly do anything anymore other than resetting/maintaining servers, doing line drops, etc. Basically everything physical that you can't readily do remotely.

Corporate IT runs the place like everybody is the same. It doesn't matter if you are a programmer or some guy in finance that stares at spreadsheets all day. Everybody's laptop needs to run on the corporate image and nobody really gets special access. It took a significant amount of my time to get a decent laptop just to run software properly. It's really sad.

I carry in my laptop case a small WiFi router that I used to plug into any switch in the shop I was working at. It was only $30

I started doing it for a couple of lines that had Ehternet comm's but weren't connected to the company network so I could connect a tablet HMI for troubleshooting and monitoring or my laptop for RSLogix/Studio5000

I concur with Jesper, put in an IT ticket and then literally do nothing until you get an answer. Additionally, email your boss for record and let him know you submitted a ticket, you can't do anything until it gets addressed. He will either escalate it himself or if they don't answer, he will have to address it.

I deal with the same thing, IT operates with the right hand of God; Iron Fist style. Everything is locked down, no admin access, no admin rights for software, nobody gets sh_t (pardon my French). The best method is a cool head and smoke em' with friendship and kindness. Submit tickets and submit often...like....all the time.

IT ALWAYS plays god and always sees themselves as Corporate overlords. I understand their perspective but what they don't understand is your position. While they went to school for computer sciences, they didn't go to school for software communications, IO control systems and furthermore automation level integration. To that extent, it irks them why someone needs to have constant admin access, rights for software to be admin, registry editing capabilities, altering CPU level communication protocols...it's a HUGE NO in their field but from the needs of the business to succeed perspective...IT MUST BE DONE. The only way to get them to understand that is to constantly advertise submissions like, "I understand, please allow me to explain why I need it", "Allow me to help explain how this works.", "This can't operate without A & B.", etc.

They may still be like "Right hand of God, NOOOOO!" and that's fine. Submit a ticket....gets closed...submit another ticket, email the boss again stating tickets are ignored. Trust me my company IT has done this to me numerous times and I just keep politely knocking on the door, "Hey Bubba, how's it going baby! Looking sharp son!" It's a game of endurance, make them realize you're not going away...seriously. I have had my IT say I need to call the likes of Siemens, Wonderware etc. and tell them to rewrite their code to redirect drive storage locations and admin requirements...absolutely absurd to think they would, "Oh sure let me get right on that for one company with their head up...well."

IT simply doesn't understand the need and they never will until you force them to LEARN the situation and understand why you need it. They won't like it and will despise that your position overlaps with theirs as it's a HUGE security risk in their eye but eventually when managers are kept in the loop up top, eventually someone will remind them that they work for the company and the success is important, not their power trip. IT always acts as if they're an independent firm external from the company and that's bogus. Remind them how understanding and willing you are to work with them...constantly...again and again. Eventually like kids they will go, "Fine, whatever!"

That's my best advice for dealing with these matters and always keep your boss in the loop, make sure he is updated and has you back with support. Follow procedure, religiously lol. Worst case you eat bon-bons all day and watch programming videos or something educational for your time investment. Good luck!

Last edited: