ConrolLogix read Micro850

stretch_af

I think I know the answer to this...

I have some data in a Micro850, stored as a "WORD" datatype. I want my Control Logix to read that info. I know my MSG works, it will read INT values.
The MSG isn't happy when I point it at a WORD datatype. Do I need to add logic in the Micro850 to convert the WORD to an INT?

Thanks
Justin

What do you use WORD data types for in Micro 800 ? I don't use those controllers so I'm not familiar with that data type and how it differs from a UINT.

The Micro 800 CIP Client Messaging quick-start document suggests that your conclusion is correct, because it calls out the data types that are accessibly with a MSG instruction from a Logix family controller, though it doesn't specifically address the WORD data type.

From Appendix F:

Logix MSG instruction can read/write SINT, INT, DINT, LINT and REAL data types using “CIP Data Table Read” and “CIP Data Table Write” message types.

BOOL, USINT, UINT, UDINT, ULINT, LREAL, STRING, SHORT_STRING, DATE, and TIME data types are not accessible with the Logix MSG instruction.

I didn't write the code in the Micro850. One WORD is 16 BITS. In this machine, those BITS are alarms. I want my ControlLogix to read the WORD, haven't verified if it is possible or not yet.

word.PNG

It appears that the Micro800 reports the WORD type as UINT (0xc7). So I wonder if you have to declare a UINT in the ControlLogix to be able to read it? ControlLogix didn't add unsigned types until the 5580 platform (L8x) and firmware rev 32.