Logix Designer/Studio 5000 Trend Element of an I/O Array

JLand

Hi Folks,

I am trying to trend in Logix Designer an element of an INT[223] input data array. For some reason, the "add" button is greyed out. I can trend DINTs and members of DINT arrays just fine, but trending arrayname:I1.Data.[0] does not work. Can anyone give me a bit of help?

Thanks all in advance.

Last edited:
How many trend pens do you have configured already? The Logix trend object maxes out at 8 pens, so if you've already got 8, I imagine that the "add" button would be greyed out.

Good question. I have 2 trends configured in the project, each with 3 pens for 6 total, but neither of these trends are open or running.

I am trying to add these members of the IO INT array as the first pen in a new trend.

Okay, that's not it then. Just to clarify, you can have 8 pens per trend, and any number* of trends.

(*there is probably a limit if you try hard enough, but I don't know what it is, and it's probably irrelevant here).

The only other suggestion I have is to double and triple check your tag name. Are there dots or underscores or spaces where there shouldn't be (or should be)? And is the data type you're pointing to definitely of the INT type?

The only other suggestion I have is to double and triple check your tag name. Are there dots or underscores or spaces where there shouldn't be (or should be)? And is the data type you're pointing to definitely of the INT type?

Checked that too. I let the auto fill complete the tag so all I had to add was "[0]". Weird. It was no problem adding a member of a DINT array the same way.

Big thanks for your help so far.

Yeah, it seems like it should work. I mean, I don't think I've ever *specifically* tested trending an INT instead of a DINT, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work.

trending arrayname:I1.Data.[0] does not work...
Is that exactly as you typed it in? How much of that was autocompleted? I would have thought that you would need either Data.0 or Data[0], depending on data type, but not Data.[0]

The only time I've ever seen Something.[Something Else] is when using indirect bit addressing, which is not what you're doing here.

Just for S&G I trended a test INT and it worked totally fine. Weird...

The tag name is something like IOLink4_1004:I1.Data[0] or something like that. I typed "IOLink4" and autocompleted to "IOLink4_1004". I then added ":I1.D" and it auto completed to "IOLink4_1004:I1.Data" so all I had to do was add "[0]" to the end. The process worked fine for regular INT and DINT arrays. Just failing for the IO array. Weird, right?

The extra period between "Data" and "[0]" in my previous response was a typo in the forum post, not in the trend though.

I think this may just be a weird Logic Designer or IOLink bug.