IDEC Web Server

Stationmaster

I know, I know...... There isn't a lot of support for IDEC products on this forum. But I thought maybe your collective GENERAL experience would help here.

I bought an IDEC web server module. My plan is to replicate the pages and the info that I currently display on the local HMIs for the pump stations I build, so the customers can access their systems from the World Wide Web.

But the first little task I have to "master" is to get the web-server module to send an email to alert the customer that there is a "Fault". I've written the ladder into the PLC program to manage the port (it has to be switched from "maintanance mode" to "USER mode", the web server prompted to send the email, and then the port must be switched back to the "maintenance mode") and THAT part works. The "email" gets "sent" to the mail server. I know this because my son set his PC up to act as a mail server on our LOCAL network and he could detect the email coming from the IDEC web server.

The PROBLEM is..... most, if not ALL mailservers require a password to actually accept and forward the email on to the recipient. I don't see any way to deal with sending a password to the mail server from the IDEC web server.

To clarify just a bit, the WEB server is a local piece of gear that resides on my test bench, while the MAIL server is some other companies hardware that exists out in cyberspace. The name of ours is "1 and 1".

I was hoping some of you guys would have experience actually getting an email from a local web server, through the mail server ALL THE WAY to its destination.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Stationmaster

I think this is a common problem. I know your not using Siemens but they do have a FAQ that may help you.

Instructions:
With WinCC flexible, the triggering of bit or analog messages can cause e-mails to be sent to the operators. You can use any SMTP server (e-mail output server) for sending e-mails, which doesn't need any authentication with password and user name. In addition to the many SMTP servers in the Internet you can also integrate your own SMTP server in the local network. In this example we use the "PostCast Server" that is available for downloading at the Internet address http://www.postcastserver.com/download/.

http://support.automation.siemens.com/US/view/en/24139712

Thanks for the input CharlesM. We have tried a different SMPT simulator, and as I said, that works fine. But to make this a part of a stand alone control system, I suspect we'll have to ADD a stand alone SMPT server. There are a wide variety of them on the web, from ckt boards with usb ports to complete packaged systems.

The one I like best so FAR is packaged to look like a charger transformer. It plugs into a regular household outlet that I can easily incorporate into my panel. The whole unit is contained in a little box about 2 inches cubed

Guess I'm gonna have to consider adding that to my system.

Stationmaster