panelview 1000 communication problem

anthony97

i am trying to communicate to my pv1000 by the rs232 port using rs linx which is not detecting the pv1000. please to assist me with this problem. which cable is the correct cable and how do i connect to this HMI using RS linx?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

What is the exact part number of your PanelView terminal ? Some of them have RS-232 ports that are for serial printing only, and some have RS-232 ports that only support the DH485 protocol.

In general, you use a "straight through" serial cable, which is different from the "null modem" style (which swaps Pins 2 and 3) that you would use to connect to the serial port of an SLC-500 or ControlLogix CPU.

The cable for the RS232 port for your PV is a straight thru cable.

As Ken stated.

AB part number 2711-NC13. Any straight thru serial 9 pin cable will work.

Or make your own
Pin 2 to 2
Pin 3 to 3
Pin 5 to 5

Mickey,

i believe i am using the correct cable, but however the RS linx isn't seeing the pv1000. I'm using the 2711-NC13 cable. can i use a AIC device to connect to the DH+ port of the pv1000 and then connect the AIC device to my personal computer via the RS 232 port of the AIC?

Is that one of those models with a serial port that is only for use as a printer port? I think it is...

You will have to use a memory card or a DH+ interface to communicate with it. The AIC I believe is DH485, not DH+

ok i think so too that this rs 232 port on the PV1000 is only for printing. this pv1000 is connected to a SLC 5/04 cpu via the DH+ port of the HMI to the DH+ port of the SLC 5/04 CPU. i would like to download an application to the HMI PV1000 and to upload the ladder logic from the SLC 5/04 cpu. please to give me the best solution for this? i believe the SLC 5/04 is set to use the DH+ port only for communication.

Can i use the AIC device to connect to both the SLC 5/04 cpu and the pv1000 via there DH+ ports? @OkiePC what is the DH+ interface is this a device or driver. can you give me the part# and full name of this along with the cables i would need if i'm gonna use this DH+ interface.

The AIC is a RS232 isloator and a RS232 to RS485 converter. It cannot be used for DH+.

The RS232 port on a DH+ panelview can be configured for a printer or for upload/download of your program. If you can get to the configuration screen you can change it there.

PanelView Standard terminals that use DH-485 protocol and have a second RS-232 port can only use that port for Serial Printing.

On all other models (including this 2711-K10C8), the second RS-232 port can be used either for serial printing or for DF1 full duplex upload/download.

As noted, the DH+ port on this can only be connected to a DH+ network. Net-AIC modules do not run DH+, they run DH-485.

For people who are unfamiliar with serial connections and A-B products, the simplest way to move a program on and off a PanelView Standard is with the memory card. Any CompactFlash card (under 2 GB, formatted FAT16) in a Type II PCMCIA carrier will work.

The system that is described should be able to be accessed with nothing more complicated than a serial cable and a gender changer. If OP wants to provide details on his software configuration and serial interface, folks can help walk him through it.

Mickey,

thanks for the info, i am able to get to the configuration screen. how do i configure the rs 232 port to upload/download application to the pv1000.