PC value into a AB Micrologix

RobertB

Hi, All...
I've tried to find a thread on this, but key words aren't helping.
Simply put, I want my Micrologix 1400 Ser. A...... to be able to see a value in a nearby Windows 10 PC.
On a nearby PC, it is showing dimensions for 'product height' and 'product length'. (my descriptions)
If my Micrologix could somehow see those values, it could take over from there.
I can not put RSLinx on each Windows PC without corporate permission.
Is it hardware and software I need?... or just some kind of Ethernet app?

Any help appreciated!

You need an Ethernet driver to do this. If you search for AdvancedHMI on the forum Archie has a free open source solution you may want to use.

Well, it can be more complicated. Is the "Windows value" already in some kind of HMI or in some app that can expose the value via DDE?

This is where understanding the OSI 7 layer model helps. I think the sticky part with likely be in the top 3 layers.

Well, start with where the value reside in right now and we can go from there.

Thank you all for your advise so far. This Windows value is NOT on an HMI. I believe the 'height' value may be part of a SQL server on the company network? The ML must NOT change the Windows value. It only wants to 'peek' at it. On the other hand, the Windows PC could care less that the PLC is peeking. The Windows PC is not going to change any value in the PLC or vise versa. Once the ML sees the value, it will fire its outputs to real world indicating lights. Once the next 'height value' comes along.... about 10 seconds later, the PLC outputs will re-fire its outputs.
As always, your help is immensely appreciated.

So, you need an application on the windows machine that will read a value from a SQL database, then write that value to the PLC.

You need to figure out first where the value is. If it's SQL accessible then you can use off the shelf software like FactoryTalk Transaction Manager (I think that's the name) or Inductive Automation's product to take the value and put in a PLC register.

Other less $$$ option would be programming yourself a program with Visual Basic or something similiar.

Now that I think about it, another cheaper option would be AdvancedHMI. I think they have a SQL plugin.

This is definitely doable with AdvancedHMI for no cost. If the value comes from an operator input, this is how you would do it:

- From the Toolbox add an EthernetIPforSLCMicroCom driver to the form
- Set the IPAddress property to that of the PLC
- Add a BasicLabel to the form
- Set PLCAddressValue to the PLC register (e.g.)
- Set PLCAddressKeypad to the same register
- Run the application
- Click on the value and type in the new value

If the value is to come from a SQL Server, you will add a new data source to tell it where the get the data from. It will take 3 lines of VB code to send the value from the database to the PLC. If this sounds like a possible solution for you, I can go into more detail.

Archie,

I've tried the Advanced HMI, but the SourceForge site is no longer hosting that download. Your option sounds the best. But be patient with me. I'm pretty good with PLCs, but I know next to nothing about programming PCs.

I've tried the Advanced HMI, but the SourceForge site is no longer hosting that download. Your option sounds the best. But be patient with me. I'm pretty good with PLCs, but I know next to nothing about programming PCs.
The download is still free, but you either have to go through the process of adding to the cart on the main web site to get the download link. Or you can use the beta version that has a link in this forum thread:

https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=2058.135

Fortunately AdvancedHMI and Visual Studio does most, if not all of the programming for you, so its very easy to get started.

Give me a few days to set up 'guinea pig Windows PC' and get this Advanced HMI download.... then we'll be in touch again.
As regards other readers viewing this.... An operator input is out of the question. The operator is handling a new piece of glass every 3-4 seconds on these production lines. Management would never go for an operator stopping his pace, taking 3-4 seconds to hand type in the measurements, then go back to his routine.
Archie sounds like he's been down this road before so I am going to take him up on it.
Again, thank you all.

Gary,

I've heard of this. I think our facility uses them. Someone told me they were "NGear switches". Of course, I could never find anything under that.... so I gave up. Is it free? Thanks again.

No they are not free but they will give you a free demo to try it out
I have used their active X version on projects worked as expected no problems
bot the new modern PC you need the net version
they have great tech support and presales give them a call.
I think there low end limited OPC is about $300
they can be used with excel