Micrologix 1500 config. trouble

In RSLogix, when you have the system comms box open (it looks like a who window) select the plus next to the DF-1 driver. It will expand and show the processor. Select the processor so that it is highlighted and then click the upload button. Generally, it will ask you to then browse to the file on your disk that is matching. Select the right file and then click continue. It will then upload the program. When you save it, it will save the program on your disk with the most recent communicatitons path that accessed it.

I am sure you are missing these steps before you upload. Logix is telling you that it cannot get to the processor with the most recent path(ethernet) so you have to manually select the new path.

If you are still having troubles, call me at 402-990-5311, and I will walk you through it step by step.

David

Hi david
In this window i donot get any thing , I mean no + sign. left side I get only - sign with work station that is my laptop name.

It does not show any drivers under that?

Even if that side is not expanded, under the pane that is called Network Name, your DF-1 driver should be listed. Select (double click) that and it should move in one level and your processor should be listed there.

Something is amiss here. Have you, under RSLinx said okay to the autocofiguration, gone back to the add a driver box and said okay here?

Is the DF-1 Driver listed in the RSLinx WHO screen? If so, and you still do not see it while under RSLogix you have a problem that is beyond the scope of typing and need technical support with your computer.

David

Hi, David & Lancie

Thanks for help, Finely I succeded in to going on line.
RSlogix--tool--Option--System commincation---then i clicked on some thing like online or upload it loaded and every thing was ok. But still in RSwho window I donot get "+" sign. and also i donot see any computer and plc communication menu tree list. Any futher advice will bewelcome.

Thanks

gmultani52,

Yes, the "Tools, Options, Systems Communications" configure method will work when the others sometimes fail. They can fail if you have some Communications drivers loaded that are not working, due to wrong settings, or missing hardware, ports, or networks.

I went through this briefly in an earlier post, but you did not seem to pick up on it, so I will open up RSLinx and step you through it again.

(1) Start RSLinx on the computer that you will use to connect to the PLC.

(2) If you are NOT using an Ethernet network, on top menu bar, click on "Communications", "Configure Gateway", then under "General", make sure that "Enable RSLinx Gateway" is NOT checked. This could be causing those crazy error messages that you reported.

(3) Forget "auto configure" because it doesn't tell you if there are comm drivers that are locked up or "not running". Instead go to the top menu bar and click on "Communications", then on "Configure Drivers".

(4) On the next pop-up screen, look under the "Configured Drivers" list. If you see "TCP-1 on xxxx NOT RUNNING" or "TCP-1 on xxxx ERROR", then there is your problem. You need to either "Configure" this driver so that it is working, or set your cursor on it and click the "Stop" button on the right. If a driver is loaded, but has some problem that keeps it from working, yet it is still TRYING to run, then it can lock up RSLinx so that OTHER drivers that you want to use will not work either!! I know, the manuals do not mention this fact, but I have experienced it too many times.

(5) You may have more than one driver that has a problem. If you only use the "auto-configure" method, then you may not be aware of just how many drivers you do have loaded, or not be aware of how many have problems or are not working. You should clean out the Configure Drivers screen occassionaly and "Delete" any drivers that you don't need.

(6) Now after cleaning up the problems, make sure the driver you want to use is loaded. I think it should be something like "AB DF1-1 DH-485 Sta:x COM x: RUNNING". If you don't see that on the "Configured Drivers" list, then load one as follows:

(7) At the top "Available Driver Types, click on the down-arrow key and select from the pull-down menu "RS-232 DF1 devices". Once selected, then click on the "Add New" button on the right. If you do not like the name that RSLinx uses, then type in one you like better, then click "OK".

(8) Now type in your communications parameters, Comm Port Number, Baud Rate, Parity, Stop Bits, and MOST IMPORTANT, select the Device Type from the pull-down menu on the right. Because it is a MicroLogix, select the 4th one, "SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview". Now at this point it is safe to pick "Auto-Configure" to see if your settings work. Once you get it working, then go back to the "Configure Drivers" menu.

(9) Check the "Configured Drivers" menu list and see if your new driver is there and that it is "RUNNING". If it says something like:
"AB_DF1-1 DH485 Sta:x COMx: PORT CONFLICT", or
"AB_DF1-1 DH485 Sta:x COMx: ERROR", or
"AB_DF1-1 DH485 Sta:x COMx: NOT RUNNING",
then you have still not got it right and must re-do Step 8 and 9.

(10) Once you get it running, then click "Close", go back to Main Menu, click the "RSWho" icon, select "Autobrowse", then select the driver "AB_DF1-1, then the PLC that you want to use should show up. If it doesn't then you may: (a) not have a good cable connection, (b) not have a Windows COMM port configured properly from Windows Device Manager, (c) may have another device trying to use the COMM port at the same time, (d) may have TWO or more copies of RSLinx running, (e) or have some other problem that I don't know what the hell it could be.

(11) Now go to RSLogix, load your program, go to "Tools, Options, Systems Communications", and set the program driver to match the one that you just got working in RSLinx.

Last edited:
Hi Lancei, Step 6 & 7 absolutly no problem. Though I am able to go on line and upload program but stil i wonder why am not able to get in RSwho window "+" sign. and also i donot see any computer and plc communication menu tree list. Further in rslinx driver list, i see only DF-1 running. In rslogix tool -option system communication, current active drive also DF-1. Though this list do have two other driver whitch configur befour. Thanks

I recollect that you will have to delete "ALL" drivers first. Then completely shutdown the laptop and reboot. I vaguely remember having to reboot to get it to work. Once you have deleted all drivers and rebooted the laptop, try adding the DF1 driver.

gmultan52,

Make sure the Autobrowse has a check mark. After you see what you want
you can shut this window down,RSlink will still be communicating.

Hi,

I will try on monday. I am adding still bit more that even though i am able to upload programm from plc (micrologix 1500, and SLC 05 ) I donot get rung & element disciption. I get only I/O address only. how to get discription. Becouse slc program have about 20 subrout file. In trouble shooting discription is needed. Thanks

The descriptions and rung comments are stored on the computer not in the PLC. You will need the original program with the descriptions and rung comments on your computer to see them when you upload.

Bob O.

gmultani52,

Ken J is absolutely right about re-booting when you make a significant change in the Comm Drivers. I remember having to do that now, too. It should have been in my list about Step 6. The motto is, "Reboot Often", and the moral of this tale is that "Many heads are better than one". ;)

gmultani52,

Do you have a copy of the original program on your laptop?

Edit

If not can you get a copy of it? This is where to documentation should be.

Bob O.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

No i am not. I am new to my work place. I uploaded ladder logic from slc 5/05 controller L551 to my laptop with you gui help but without rung discriptions. I do not know who programmed it.
how to find orignal file.

Thanks

Typically gmultani52, there is a project directory that will contain all the programs that are available to you. Lancie1 gave you an exact dissertation of what you should see while doing. I was amiss in that as i assumed that you had a little more experience than what you apparently have.

The path that generally is created by Logix when it installs is under "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix500\Projects\" I believe. I do not have my laptop with me right now to give you an exact path. Lancie1, help me out here?

When you go to upload, a box will appear that will show you a list of matching processor files. There is also a browse function. If your files reside somewhere else other than the project directory, you need to browse to that directory and select the most recent file. That will merge all the documentation will the uploaded file.

David