BooTP Helper Device

The developer is debating on whether to switch to a membrane overlay which will house the buttons and cover the LCD display. The main purpose of this is to simplify the fabrication of the device. Does anyone have any thoughts on the longevity and reliability of these membrane style buttons compared to traditional buttons?

Also comments on the general idea of using the membrane overlay are welcome

Thanks
TW
hhv3.jpg

Definitely don't hold up like "real" buttons do. On devices that are used day in and day out in production environments, the membranes wear out rather quickly. However, I would imagine that this device will only be used occasionally and not for very long. So should last quite awhile. The big question is will this reduce the final selling price, will the savings be passed along?

A less expensive unit might sell better. Maybe later on there can be two models, the programmer model with the membrane, and the maintenance model with real buttons, more rugged, more expensive.

Last edited:
The goal of the membrane is to get the production cost down. It takes too long to cleanly cut the LCD opening and the 4 holes. Right now labor will put it above the target price.

But I see the concerns about the durability of the membrane.

Thanks
TW

My initial understanding of the reason for the membrane overlay was incorrect. It will drive the price up and not down. Here are his comments

Durability was my concern, but it was quickly dismissd by all membrane manufacturers I spoke so far.
Today they make overlay from polyester that gives them 10 million cycles compare to 100,000 for older plastic materials that dry and crack.
I can't verify this fact, but for in any case handheld that expected to be used just a couple times a month this will not be an issue.

Just to compare: real buttons rated for 300,000 cycles.

The issue is PRICE.
Membrane overlay is MUCH more expensive than pushbuttons and will definately bring price up at least $25, may be more for low volume production.
Like you said it removes need for clean precision cut and makes product look better, but it will not drive price down.

What integrators want to see?
- a barebone device with minimum price and no fancy label as it is today?
- or nice looking device with membrane keys that will cost $25-$50 more?

The bottom line:
will people buy device as is for less money or they prefer to wait for nice looking device for $50 more?

Pretty slick!
I could see a major use for this, especially to the guys who are traveling around going to different facilities...Every place seems to do IP addressing different....

in my opinion membrane keybaords are remarkably robust products.
i've only seen once membrane button stuck down due to abuse (hammered in), can't remember any other problems with this type of switches. in fact they are used on number of industrial products including robot teach pendants and those get used everywhere, even in very dirty environment (material handling, welding etc.) and get milions of cycles.

panic mode said:
in my opinion membrane keybaords are remarkably robust products.
i've only seen once membrane button stuck down due to abuse (hammered in), can't remember any other problems with this type of switches. in fact they are used on number of industrial products including robot teach pendants and those get used everywhere, even in very dirty environment (material handling, welding etc.) and get milions of cycles.
You know Panic, everyone seems to either love the membranes or hate them.

What do you think? Bad reputation from the early days or are some current membranes good and some bad?

drewcrew6 said:
Will it also detect Gateway and Subnet?
Drewcrew6
No, the main purpose of this tool is to assign an IP Address to a device. It has the ability to read IPs mainly for product replacement and discovery of the IP Address on equipment you are not familiar with. From there you should be able to connect to the device with its normal programming software and view the rest of the configuration

TWControls said:
You know Panic, everyone seems to either love the membranes or hate them.

What do you think? Bad reputation from the early days or are some current membranes good and some bad?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, membranes had a bad press in the early days (and rightfully so), but current membranes are starting to become more robust and reliable.
I've replaced some out in the field and just comparing the new to the old, the difference is very noticable.

Having said all that, some environments are more suitable for membranes than others.

yepp...

i don't remember membrane switches in the early days (maybe better so) but i see lots of them on more or less recent product (last 10 years or so). they seam to be used on many products geared for frequent use (robot pendants, hospital beds, bunch of vending machines, microwave ovens, in fact all machines in our and few other caffeterias including money changers, ATM etc.)

The device is 90% developed, but one thing that hasn't been determined is what to call the device.

Obviously it assigns IP Addresses per Bootp request, actually with some firmware tweaks it may also be able to server DHCP request. But there seems to be quite a bit of interest in its ability to read IP Addresses.

Any ideas on what to call it?