Real serial port for new laptop?

Hi guys hope you all had a good weekend! thanks for the replies!

Mark if you do try one out post back and let me know how you get on, it would be very interesting.

i think i might go for the AB UIC, sounds good and cost wise is not that bad!

I would agree that the PCMK card for the laptop would be great for the DH+ comms, but i might not have been clear in that we have a controllogix rack that acts as a gateway between the DH+ and ethernet, so my desktop computer can drill down to the DH+ nodes no problem. the problem starts if one of the nodes faults and is not communicating on the DH+, then i need to get out the laptop and connect to the serial port, ok for 80% of the time, but the two nodes that have panel view 550's connected to the serial port are configured for DH485, need the PIC driver and all hell breaks loose! so when i saw the product at i put in the first post i thought i might find out if anybody else had tried this method, i really dont need something right now, as this problem hardly ever comes up. Just a wee extra that could save a lot of time one day.

I believe this can be done but have never tried this. In communications there is a checkbox to allow "mode change".
If this works as I suspect then all you need to do is hookup with a DF1 driver (Serial to Serial) type the correct characters (assuming hypreterminal) and bingo the plc port is now user or system. just need to define what those aare and I'm geussing you'll have the best of both worlds and no cash outlay other then a usb to serial if no local serial on pc.

if you try this please post how well and simple it is.

Drewcrew6

I have never heard that one, sounds good if it will work!

when you say in communications, is that in rs linx or maybe device manager? i have looked in both but can see any such checkbox.

define characters? i dont have much experience with hyperterminal! but if anyone could make this clear to me i would be happy to spend the time, learning and trying it out, then posting the results.

drewcrew6 said:
I believe this can be done but have never tried this. In communications there is a checkbox to allow "mode change".
If this works as I suspect then all you need to do is hookup with a DF1 driver (Serial to Serial) type the correct characters (assuming hypreterminal) and bingo the plc port is now user or system. just need to define what those aare and I'm geussing you'll have the best of both worlds and no cash outlay other then a usb to serial if no local serial on pc.

if you try this please post how well and simple it is.

Drewcrew6

This will not work for changes from DF1 to DH485.
Channel 0 System mode uses DF1, DH485 or is shutdown.
Channel 0 User mode uses ASCII or is shutdown.
The only way to change protocol for channel 0 is thru your programming software (RSLogix500 Online or Offline).That I know of.

Last edited:
i guess go for a usb to serial cable or may e u can use usb data cable use for cellphones they are same ..................better use with FTDI chip coz that can b modifyed for rs485 too.
If u need i can send u the details for the same