FactoryTalk View Studio vs. Crimson 3.0

Sorry, it's been a while since I got back on. I ended up opening the recipe file on the SD card with the FactoryTalk file viewer and found there were two recipes referencing 4 tags. I made a UDT in the CompactLogix so that everything is internal in the PLC.

That sounds like a good modification.

On a different note, does anyone know if you can do a remote write to the G3 Kadet like you can to the PanelView for display navigation?

Yes, but you will have to put together the pieces.

You can create a numeric (integer) tag for remote control of the displayed page and then use a trigger on that tag to call a Program which decides which page to go to based on its value. On the Triggers tab choose "change in value" as the trigger type and put "1" as the value so that the action will be called each time the value changes.

In the program you can use the switch/case statement to run a GotoPage command for each value.

If you want a different tag in the PLC to tell it which page is being displayed, you can use the Page Properties > Actions > On Select field to write a value to that tag.

Also, don't name your program "GotoPage". Weird errors may occur when you try to translate the code if you use a reserved keyword as the name of the program.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good modification.

Yes, but you will have to put together the pieces.

You can create a numeric (integer) tag for remote control of the displayed page and then use a trigger on that tag to call a Program which decides which page to go to based on its value. On the Triggers tab choose "change in value" as the trigger type and put "1" as the value so that the action will be called each time the value changes.

In the program you can use the switch/case statement to run a GotoPage command for each value.

If you want a different tag in the PLC to tell it which page is being displayed, you can use the Page Properties > Actions > On Select field to write a value to that tag.

Also, don't name your program "GotoPage". Weird errors may occur when you try to translate the code if you use a reserved keyword as the name of the program.

I'd warn here that the entire Kadet line is iffy!! :sick: We're started to replace about 40 of them with Graphite to get repeatable functionality! :D

I only have had a couple of quirks with the Kadets that I have had to deal with:
1) each time I update one of them, the clock gets reset so I have to "send time".
2) the trending is crippled
3) out of the box, you can't set the IP address and enable download (G304K2) with the system menu, even though it looks like you can. I just do the first update with a serial cable.

I have a bunch of them out in the field with no problems and several of them have a moderate amount of scripting.

I have 20 display pages. I have gone into the Action tab in the Page Properties for each one and assigned a value to a tag Current_Display_Number in the On Select field. I have created a numeric tag named Commanded_Display_Number. I would use this tag as the value for the GoTo Page # in the program I create?

I have one momentary button that when pressed, will navigate to a screen with a nothing but a 30 second timer. They use this to clean the display without triggering any buttons. After the timer runs out, the program navigates back to the previous screen. Could I just call up the program when this button is pressed?

I have 20 display pages. I have gone into the Action tab in the Page Properties for each one and assigned a value to a tag Current_Display_Number in the On Select field. I have created a numeric tag named Commanded_Display_Number. I would use this tag as the value for the GoTo Page # in the program I create?

You would do something like this in a Program that gets called by a trigger when the tag value changes:
Code:
switch (Commanded_Display_Number) {
   case 1:
     GotoPage(Page1);
     break;
   case 2:
     GotoPage(Page2);
     break;
   case 3:
     GotoPage(Page3);
     break;
//etc. and in the GotoPage() commands use your actual page names
}

I have one momentary button that when pressed, will navigate to a screen with a nothing but a 30 second timer. They use this to clean the display without triggering any buttons. After the timer runs out, the program navigates back to the previous screen. Could I just call up the program when this button is pressed?

Yes, and you could just watch for the timer to reach its end value with a trigger on that tag and then GotoPage(Main) or whatever page you want to jump to when the cleaning is done.

Last edited:
I am having trouble getting my string tags to work properly. In the processor, the string is an array of 82 SINT's. I have configured my string tags as follows:

Source: PLC1.String.DATA[0]
Extent: Array - 82
Length: 82 characters
Packing: None
Read Mode: Entire Array