home automation

You can also get a 120v click for projects like this.

Looks good

Thanks! I looked at at the 120V version, but I already had the 18-2 CL3 speaker wire on hand for all the field wiring, and running everything as as low voltage control made it easy.

I used Functional Devices' RIBs (Relay In a Box) to control the valve and pump.

-rpoet

You don't seem to have much protecting fuses installed? Have you made sure everything is safe against fire or won't scare your insurances company ?

The PLC's power supply is powered from a UPS (runs the networking and WiFi infrastructure for the house). The Phoenix Contact power supply is rated Class 2, and power limited to 1.3A at 24VDC. No fusing necessary; the power supply will shut down on short circuit or overload.

-rpoet

For what it's worth, My brother-in-law does home inspections for prospective house buyers. He'd red flag a custom control system as a 'custom control system', not likely to be maintained or repaired by the heating and cooling businesses listed in the local yellow pages.

Fair enough, but it's not functionality that my parents could easily get any other way, and it's documented to a tee; the drawings are tucked right into the control cabinet, as they should be.

My folks have no plans to sell their house any time in the next 20+ years, so it's moot for the foreseeable future. As for what a home inspector might say some day, we really don't care :)

I've reworked most of the electrical in that house, plumbing as needed, and installed a generator and ATS with load-shedding for them. There's plenty of not-normally-found-in-a-home electrical work in the house (almost everything is done in conduit), commercial-grade WiFi and router, etc... Best wired home in town, probably. Like I said before, it's nice do be able to do things for family.

-rpoet

Wow I'm all over the thread. This brings up some really interesting thoughts and questions. Just bought a new house and about to do the same thing. My biggest issue it's just that of resale or God forbid I'm not there to maintain it. I wonder if it was well-documented and a minimum of say 3 contractors from that area that could maintain and work on a system that has a home brued automation system. If that would be enough for the legalities to insurance and things like home inspections. I will be watching this thread closely thanks for starting it.

Last edited:
Wow I'm all over the thread. This brings up some really interesting thoughts and questions. Just bought a new house and about to do the same thing. My biggest issue it's just that of resale or God forbid I'm not there to maintain it. I wonder if it was well-documented and a minimum of say 3 contractors from that area that could maintain and work on a system that has a home brued automation system. If that would be enough for the legalities to insurance and things like home inspections. I will be watching this thread closely thanks for starting it.

Insurance won't care (or ever know) unless you have a fire or other damage due to improper installation. Follow the NEC, UL508A, and industry best practices - basically, the way you'd do it at work - and you'll be fine. I do have to wonder what "legalities" people keep referring to; do it to code, and you're covered.

Document everything accurately and completely, and update the damn drawings if you change or add to the system. And store a copy of the PLC program somewhere offsite (cloud storage) so its easy to recover if you end up with a lighning strike or other power surge taking out your controller. Again, the way you SHOULD be doing it at work anyway.

Many home inspectors, at least in my experience, won't know what they're looking at anyway. I've seen HI's flag many items that are code-compliant, because they don't care to understand (and the how-to pamphlet they read that morning told them it's a problem). HI's are neither licensed nor vetted by a governing organization. Take their word for what it's worth.

-rpoet