CompactLogix Ethernet/IP nodes

jcreid

We are in the process of upgrading our ancient Westinghouse motor buckets to the Eaton Freedom series unit. The new Eaton buckets are offered with C440U Ethernet/IP modules for communicating with the electronic overloads.

Our current setup uses discrete contacts for determining whether the motor is running/tripped and that wiring runs back to AC input cards in a SLC 5/05 rack.

The plan is to try and eliminate a lot of the wiring and use the network to communicate with the new buckets. The SLCs will be replaced with CompactLogix PLCs, but I want to make sure I order the right model that will support approximately 50 Ethernet/IP modules.

It appears that the 1769-L37ERM can support up to 64 nodes. Am I correct in assuming I would need a processor that can see a minimum of 50 Ethernet/IP nodes?

Thanks for any help. I'm still getting up to speed on Ethernet/IP.

-Jim

In the CompactLogix vernacular, a "node" is a device in the I/O organizer, like a motor controller or an I/O module.

So yes, you need a controller that can handle at least 50 "nodes".

The "M" controllers support motion control with Rockwell servo drives over Ethernet. If you don't need motion control, you don't need the "-ERM", but can use a "-ER" controller if it's available in your size/capacity.

If you don't have any installed base to match, you can choose between the mature "5370" family CompactLogix, like the 1769-L37ERM (64 EIP Nodes) and the newer "5380" family, like the 5069-L330ER (60 EIP Nodes).

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/1769-sg001_-en-p.pdf

With the modern CompactLogix platforms (5370 and 5380) you really only have to count the number of "nodes" in the controller organizer. All of the controllers support up to 250 or 256 "EtherNet/IP connections" so almost any number of HMI or SCADA or engineering workstations can communicate with it. In the older platforms, you had to carefully count the number of TCP and CIP "Connections".

Last edited:
Yes, the newer method of limiting controllers to a maximum "Node" count ensures that we cannot saturate the controller's Ethernet connections (TCP/CIP) with all I/O communications. The Node limit should never use up the typically available 256 controller connections, leaving plenty of headroom for workstations, HMIs, MSG'ing, etc.

I've been using a good few 5370 1769-L33ER controllers for standard applications as it's the top of the "non-motion" controllers. It support up to 32 Nodes. Anything north of this controller (-L33ERM, -L36/7/8) has motion included (-ERM) and starts with -L36ERM @ 48 Nodes. Then it's a jump to 64 Nodes for an -L37ERM, as Ken has pointed out.

Just a couple of points on using the newer 5380 (5069) CompactLogix controllers with regard to Node count, etc., and especially as the required minimum Node count for the application here is 50 - at Logix Designer project version 30 the Node count is 50 for the example 5380 5069-L330ER controllers. That would be a bit tight. At project version 31 the count jumps to 60 Nodes. You may very well be going to use v31 as it's a new project, but just in case you're not gone, or going to v31 yet, that may be important to know. It's also prudent to leave some headroom on the Node count for future expansion.

Also for the 5380 controllers, consider the local I/O modules in that you must use the newer 5069 I/O modules which have a density of 16 points. This is as opposed to the older 1769 I/O modules, which you can use with a 5370 L3 controller, and which have a density of 32 points.

Something else I'm going to start prompting users on a regular basis is to consider in these Node count setups the newer PanelView 5510/5310 HMI terminals. If you happen to be using them, they are more likely to be added to the I/O Configuration when using features such as the HMIBC ( HMI Button Control) where a deterministic and monitored connection is required to ensure such features function as intended. So the age old rule-of-thumb that the PanelView terminals should not be added to the I/O Configuration, and hence, should not be counted against the total Node count, should not explicitly apply to these particular range of PanelView HMI terminals.

Regards,
George

With that high of a node count, it may be money well spent to go with a 1756 processor such as the L81. This will provide you with an easy way to upgrade in the future. You can still use 1769, 1734, or 5069 I/O on remote racks to save money over the 1756 I/O. In fact, looking at list prices, putting an 1756-L81E in a 7 slot rack is slightly cheaper than a L37 CompactLogix.