Modbus RS485 IDEC /Windldr

lwgrimm

I have modbus RS485 reading into device address on IDEC PLC.

The data same with what I get from Allen Bradley PLC.(-32768,17437)

I can monitor the data as :

D3000 DEC(I) -32768
D3001 DEC(I) 17437

Represents Flow rate of 630 barrels an hour.

Identical as Allen Bradley PLC.

I can use an instruction "Copy Word" to combine D3000 and D3001 to reflect
flow rate of 630 in AB.

Not sure which instruction to use in IDEC Windldr.

You don't have to copy anything, you can monitor any address as any data type

I think the OP is needing the number for a control scenario.

To be sure he is needing to combine two 16 bit words to make one 32 bit word. Upper word + Lower Word or Lower + Upper isn't know yet.

Monitoring is great for integrators, but operations needs to see it on the visual device to run.

Scripts maybe, but have found anything functional to make this work. DTCB only work with Words and not Integers. It will not let you enter a "less than zero" number.

Last edited:
In the IDEC world, the data registers are a large flat table of 16-bit words. There aren't really types, just the bits/data. You can use any address as any data type. You simply pick that setting on whatever device is connecting to the PLC, or on the function you're using. If the words need to be swapped, this can be done with MOVs.

OK, enough talking. Can you show us?

Entering the D0000 as -32768, D0001 as 17437, and make the 32 bit word read 630

A screen shot of it working would make my visual self understand how you do it.

Word order is different on IDEC (0-1-2-3), MicroLogix is 2-3-0-1.

1.png 2.png

MOV(W) D0000 to D0003
MOV(W) D0001 to D0002

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking.

I think the poster is wanting to make the scenario:

he has an older instrument in the field. I'm needing to read a Emerson mag meter to measure the flow of oil. I will then need to display it on my Idea HMI as a Float value.
I can read the values as -32768, and 14347, which is orderable in the Emerson instrument.
What I cannot figure is how to do the Move cmd in the WindLDR software? The IDEC will only show a Word as 0-65000, and Integers as -32768 to 32768. The Combine Data command will only show Word values. And obviously the -32768 is the integer that will skew the outcome as it has to be a negative value.
I have not figured out how to combine them to give the value of 630 bbl/hr flow.:confused:
I have experience with the Copy cmd in the Allen-Bradley but can't seem to figure out how to do this in the IDEC FC6 plc.

In your IDEC HMI, you would just point a numeric display at D0000 (or D0002 if you do what I did) after swapping words, and select 32-bit float as type.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
OH, now we're on the same page!

I was asking how to do it in the PLC/PAC. But yes to make it show on an HMI that'd work! 🍺

But mine is not using an HMI and feeding directly into a PI server. So I will look directly at the modbus and do it on the server side.

Thanks for the input and getting mine going