Any London based Siemens S5 programmers out there ?

markymark31

Hi All,

Looking for someone to help one of my customers with a very old Siemens S5 PLC that we need to try and get up and running again while we plan a replacement / upgrade project.

It looks like one or more i/o cards have failed and possibly the processor too.

I think we can source some hardware but there may be some serious programming work to do as they do not have an electronic copy of the original software. I believe there may be a paper copy in existence somewhere :-D

Thank you,

Mark

Since you have to set time and money aside to create the program from scratch, use the time to replace the hardware for someting uptodate.
You will be up and running in the same time, and the expense will be 'zero' if you consider that you would have had to do the final conversion anyway.

Since you have to set time and money aside to create the program from scratch, use the time to replace the hardware for someting uptodate.
You will be up and running in the same time, and the expense will be 'zero' if you consider that you would have had to do the final conversion anyway.

I like your thinking but the PLC replacement will be a small part of a much bigger system upgrade project which will have to go through finance for approval - which will take months.

Our customer is looking to get the system back up and running (even in a reduced / temporary capacity) as soon as possible.

Mark

What CPU and hardware are involved - any counter cards/networking or digital/analogue only?

I have no other info as yet (as it is not a system that we currently have anything to do with). I will try and get more info as soon as I can. Just putting the feelers out there to see if anyone might be able to help us.

Mark

Software development takes longer, maybe much longer, than replacing the PLC hardware. Replacing the PLC hardware can be done in a few days - depending on the number of i/o.
And, you also have to sink money into a new CPU.

As I see it, same time and almost same expense in the short run, and much less time and expense in the long run.

I have experience in S5, but a Canadian located in Bulgaria. I have resolved issues remotely in North America with S5 and S7 PLCs using TeamViewer and I've also taken programs from paper (scanned to PDF) and put it into a program file to download.

Which S5 CPU is there? What error LEDs are present? Is the battery alive? Does it have an EPROM? The very first thing to do to check for a program or errors is to go online, which, of course, requires software and cable.