Programming software for multiple AB PLCs

manojvivek

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and also new to AB PLCs. I have plan to get ControLogix, PLC5/20E, SLC5/05 and MicroLogix PLCs for testing and integrating with my software platform. Which programming software suit for all these PLCs? Does RSLogix5000 works with all these? Or should I go for different programming software for each of these PLcs? Thanks in advance for any help.

regards,

Manoj ;)

RSLogix5 for the PLC 5's
RSLogix500 for the SLC's and Micrologix
RSLogix5000 for the Controllogix, Compactlogix, Flexlogix, Softlogix

Each has its own software........AB does offer bundle packages where you can buy all three of the above software for less than individual cost.

Thanks for the information.

I need to communicate to PLC5/20E through its own Ethernet port. I dont understand why one should go for a 1785ENET to make PLC5/20E to communicate with Ethernet. Is it that, functions available with built-in port and port on 1785ENET are different? Can any one give some information regarding this.

regards,

Manoj

It would be nice if one programming software package worked with all. But that is not the case. You will need:

RSLogix 5000 for Control Logix.
RSLogix 5 for PLC 5.
RSLogix 500 for SLC5/05 and MicroLogix.

Try the following web site for more info.
http://www.software.rockwell.com/rslogix/order.cfm

If you buy the software in packages you can save yourself some money. Here is an example of a couple of packages.

9324RLT300ENE RSLOGIX 5/500/5000 ENGLISH CD BUNDLE
9324-RLC700NXENE RSLOGIX 5/500 PROFESSIONAL BUNDLE

As mentioned above, you'll need 3 different programming packages to cover the range. There was an initiative in A-B in the early 90's to produce a single package called 'ACE', or something similar, but that was abandoned when it proved too difficult and they were infiltrated by ICOM.

Also, since you want to interface to your own software platform, you will need a more capable version of RSLinx than what you get with the programming software.(OEM, Pro, Gateway)

As mentioned earlier the 1785-ENET is really intended as an option to add Ethernet to non-Ethernet PLC5 controllers. Seeing as how the 5/20E is equipped with an Ethernet connection there is no real added benefit of having a 1785-ENET sidecar module.

As far as the software goes, others have mentioned the bundle packages which is probably the route you want to go. Bear in mind also the the RSLogix5000 software is an attempt to be an "all-in-one" package. It will program:
  • CompactLogix
  • FlexLogix
  • SoftLogix
  • ControlLogix
If you are going to have an integrated software package, you have to start somewhere and the Logix5000 controllers appear to be that starting point. RSLogix5000 is intended to program the whole family of controllers from top to bottom.

I would imagine that it is very difficult to integrate such different controllers (PLC5, SLC, CLogix) when their features are so different.

I remember the ACE software initiative back many years ago and had a chance to see the demonstration and thinking how cool this stuff will be when I can get my hands on it. Then the AB product managers stopped talking about dates (as in release dates) and started talking conceptually. That was the first clue that ACE was dead.

Anyway...my $0.02

OG