Some lessons learned today with combinations of the above items:

Hardware:

Emerson: G306A00U
Red Lion: G306A000
AB: 1747-L532E 5/03 OS302 Series C FRN 3-8
AB: 1747-L524 5/02
AB: 1747-AIC
Red Lion: CBLAB003 (self fabricated)
Emerson: Self Fabricated cable same as CBLAB003 only instead RL pin 6 goes to SLC pin 4 instead of to SLC pin 7 (per CTVue DH485 documentation in instalation guide.)

RS485 comms port of G306 being used as DH485 master.

Software:

Emerson: CTVue Configurator Build 535 (ala Crimson 2.0)
Red Lion: Crimson 2.0 Build 542
Red Lion: Crimson 3.0 Build 493.003
AB: RSLogix500 9.00.00 (CPR 9)
AB: RSLinx Classic Pro 2.59.01 CPR9 SR5

All the most up to date (other than Crimson 3.0) as far as I am aware.

Customer has the SLC5/02 with an old PV600 connected DH485 through the 1747-AIC. We are replacing an old Emerson FX drive with an Emerson EP-P and thus the Prosoft Card associated with the FX communication is rendered useless. It was decided to replace the PV600 with a CTVue so that it could act as a gateway/protocol converter between the SLC5/02 and the Emerson servo drive (that either communicates Modbus RTU or EthernetIP/ModbusTCPIP). It was actually much less expensive to purchase the new HMI than it was to purchase a new Prosoft card.

Removed the PV600 from the AIC and wired the CTVue to the DH485 interface connector of the AIC. No communication between the HMI and CPU.

Figuring it has something to do with the 1747-AIC, a CBLAB003 was fabricated and taken directly to the 5/02. No Communication.

Made the same cable as above only with the above hardware modifcation noted with the Emerson documentation. No Communication.

Starting to suspect that this was related to the token generation issue that the G3 units used to have, I removed the 5/02 and replaced it with a 5/03 I had brought just in case. I continued to use the previous made cable direct to the 5/03. No Communication.

Attempted to talk to tech support but kept losing signal. Gave up and headed back to the office with CTVue and 5/03 in hand.

Grabbed my Red Lion G3 unit which is basically identical to the CTVUe and used the same exact cable and same identical setup as was used in CTVue instead with Crimson 3.0.
Communication worked immediately and with no issue.

Downloaded Crimson 2.0 and recreated the same exact setup once again wondering if it is just a Crimson 2.0 issue. Communication worked immediately with no issue.

Wish I could try the 5/02 and the 1747-AIC at the moment as I am still curious whether Crimson 2.0 will have the token generation issue. Noticed in Crimson 3.0 that "Token Generation" was explicitly noted whereas this option does not appear anywhere I have seen in Crimson 2.0 or CTVue Configurator.

Whole day was wasted on something that should have just worked. Don't understand why the CTVue is not communicating with the 5/03. I would have thought this would be automatic. It seems as though the CTVue does not get all of the firmware and software updates that the Crimson units do.

Don't understand why Emerson would be showing a different pinout for the DH485 cable than Red Lion would, since I would have expected the documentation to have originated with Red Lion. The port should be identical. Ironically the cable communicating right this moment with the Red Lion unit is based off the Emerson documentation. The difference between the two cables is simply the Red Lion Common either goes to the SLC signal ground or the SLC chassis ground. Wondering if it was just a ground loop issue and the CT Documentation was never updated like the Red Lion documentation was.

Side note: Does anyone know of an actual manual for the 1747-AIC other than the virtually useless 2 page installation instructions? The DH485 interface of the AIC does not utilize the "Trasnmit Enable" signal (that is referenced in all the Red Lion cable documentation). I simply left it unconnected. Would really like to keep the AIC in so that a PC connection can be made without disconnecting the HMI. I am suprised that all of the documentation references a direct connection when it would seem much more common that an AIC module would be used. Too bad the G3 does not have a pass-through capability to allow a PLC connection through the USB or Ethernet of the HMI.

If you get Crimson 3.0 drivers to work with the fixed SLC, 5/01 or 5/02 it will be a relatively recent release. The driver manual omits those units from its list of supported PLCs, but they did at some point around the time of Tommy's thread, get the driver modified just for this purpose.

Also, I am pretty sure you can use a NET-AIC with the G3, just aren't required to do so if you are already using an isolated port.

Last edited:
If you get Crimson 3.0 drivers to work with the fixed SLC, 5/01 or 5/02 it will be a relatively recent release. The driver manual omits those units from its list of supported PLCs, but they did at some point around the time of Tommy's thread, get the driver modified just for this purpose.

Also, I am pretty sure you can use a NET-AIC with the G3, just aren't required to do so if you are already using an isolated port.

Hi Paul, Not sure what you mean by "fixed" SLC?

My biggest frustration today was more so the incompatibility of the CTVue with the SLC5/03, which does show up as a verifed device in the documentation.

Also I should have been more clear. It wasn't the compatibility of the G3 I was talking about regarding the 1761-NET-AIC module. I was mentioning it in regards to how it would have been nice if it was compatible with the DH485 ports of the SLCs.

The fixed hardware style, the 5/01 and the 5/02 all suffer from the same issue with lacking token generation. I thought it was possible to hard-wire the G3 RS485 port to the DH485 port of the SLC, but I have not checked into it for myself and hope I don't have to do that.