Rockwell RSlogix 5000 activation without floppy

matt_sd

Hi guys.

I have left Rockwell support a message and waiting for a call back, hopefully this evening.. but want to ask fellow PLC'ers for advice.

We have a Scada PC that runs a Citect Scada and RSlogix 5000.
The PC has died due to lightning damage.
Hard disk pulled out/put into similar PC, everything working. A few issues with a few signals on the Control Logix, I want to look at the code, try to run RS logix - copy protection error as new hardware - arrh!

OK, no problem, insert floppy disk and run reset activation, call Rockwell. Plant will be running again. The problem is we can't find the 3.5 activation disk.

Am I correct in saying that the only way Rockwell will be able to get RSlogix 5000 running is post out a replacement floppy disk with approx $50-$100 charge? Cant remember the RSlogix 5000 version but was installed approx start 2007.

Is there any way of them getting it running tonight or 1st thing tomorrow? - is there a temporary activation they can do until we receive the floppy disk for activation?

Take it the activation file will still be on the hard disk but not matched to the hardware now.

Thanks Matt

Last edited:
Hi Matt.

You cant find the master floppy because there isnt any ! (*)
If this had been the old EVRSI copy protection, you would not have the problem, because it is locked to the harddisk.
You have the FT activation, and this is most often locked to the NIC MAC address. You have to go through the procedure of "rehosting" the activation. There is a folder under Rockwell software called "Factory Talk Activation" (or something like that), look in the help files there on how to proceed.

*: However, there should be a red envelope with license information. It is possible you need that for the rehosting.

Thanks for the reply Jesper.
Rockwell did not ring me back... Luckerly this is not a critical plant. Will call them first thing tomorrow..

I havn't used Rockwell much in the last few years and I was involved with this original install - I remember reading about rockwell's new activation method but have never used it, I'm sure a floppy disk was used for the activation.
The disk is not to be found on site though that is causing me a headache.

Interesting, as you say, if the hard disk is removed from the original system, then the activation should work. Does it take the other disk into consideration? Maybe the original PC had 2 disks or the new one has a slave in there that is causing the problem.

I will look tomorrow.

I did see that the PC has EVMOVE so does this mean it is the floppy disk activation?

Thanks

matt

Hi again Matt.

I said that with the old EVRSI scheme, the license will follow the harddisk, because with EVRSI the license was physically a specially coded file on the harddisk that at the same time contain information about the harddisk. It is several years since Rockwell stopped shipping new software with this protection scheme.

With the new FT activation scheme, typically - but not allways - the file contain information about the NIC MAC address.
When you move the harddisk to another PC, the NIC MAC address is no longer the same, and you get the error message you mentioned.
And for sure there is no master floppy diskette any longer. There is a red envelope with the license information.

Maybe there is EVMOVE on the PC. You can try to use the Reset program if a defective license can be found. Also, you can just try to see if EVRSI.SYS exists on the C: drive. You have to make windows display hidden system files.

But also check if there is Factory Talk activation. If so, fire it up and see if there is license information about a defective license.

Is the NIC card removable or embedded? If you can move the NIC I have had that work.

That ~might~ work if it's the new FT activation and it was tied to the NIC. It won't work if it's FT activation tied to the hard drive or if it's the old floppy-based activation.

10/10 Jesper,

It was activated by the internet not via floppy disk - I could not remember doing this at the time.

The NIC card was embedded hence why RSlogix 5000 no longer worked.

Rang Rockwell support - they were very helpful and professional I must say, got the activation file and activated the software.

Thanks for your help once again.

Matt