RSLogix 5000 Emergency Activation

Norml

Hi all. I just purchased a new copy of RSLogix 5000 that requires internet based activation. A floppy called Emergency Activation came with the software, however there was no documentation or instructions as to why one would use it. It has the usual EMOVE and RESET files on it. ???? I'm assuming it's for times when you lose your ISP and you want to switch computers. I don't dare use it since it says "Emergency" and I don't know what happens next. The software installation instructions also refer to a USB dongle that may or may not have come in the box (I didn't receive one).

The USB dongle is for moving activation from one PC to another, it is not included when you purchase the software. If you are having trouble activating the S/W, you can call Rockwell (even if you don't have a support agreement) and their copy protection and activations group should talk you through activating the software over the phone. They should also be able to explain the "Emergency Activation" disk; I have never heard of it. Call (440) 646-5800 and press 3 for software, 2 for technical support and 1 for activations. If for some reason you can't get through, call your Rockwell distributor and get them to help you out.

Thanks for the quick reply. Apparently I needed to order a dongle when I ordered the software. The instruction say "Check your software packaging to see if it contains a dongle." I did the activation on line and everything went fine. It's the undocumented floppy that bugs me.

I'm in the same dilemma, and was about to ask the same question here.

I got the same floppy with the title 'Emergency Activation', with my set of RS5000 software (arrived yesterday - V16). Didn't use it. But the online activation went on smoothly and the software is running fine.

I guess it is something for you to use it when you are not contactable online, and where the support unable to do much.

_________

I've never seen one of these floppies with FT activations but as a guess it may function as a Keydisk; it may have a non-movable activation (hence no evmove) which is read when the software product starts up. In the same way that you can use an activation disk even after the activation has been moved to a hard drive.

I would still agree with mgvol that you should call Rockwell Tech Support for the official word, but I believe that the emergency activation is a timed activation (7 days, perhaps?) that can be used if your hard drive crashes or the FactoryTalk Activation becomes unusable for some reason.

Since the only (current) way to reset the Internet-based activation is to contact Technical Support, the Emergency Activation can be used until you can reach them (for example, your machine goes down at 8 p.m. Friday but you need to be able to work through the weekend until you can contact Tech Support on Monday).

Hope you still have a floppy drive available - for example, my laptop does not have a floppy, and I haven't needed one so I didn't get one. Hope the activation doesn't fail.

rgurin said:
I would still agree with mgvol that you should call Rockwell Tech Support for the official word, but I believe that the emergency activation is a timed activation (7 days, perhaps?) that can be used if your hard drive crashes or the FactoryTalk Activation becomes unusable for some reason.

Curiosity - it made me to drop the Emergency Activation Disk to a USB floppy drive and run 'Move Activation', the move window poped up, with one difference . It had a column stating 12/31/2007. So it is obvious - it is valid until 31 Dec 2007.

Of course I didn't move it in. My online activation is still intact.

I think that the floopy disk are getting old for the today technology. I have a USB floopy drive, but it could be great to get the activation file on a CD and then if you want to resest the activation you copy the file on a mnemory stick.

Martin.

chavak said:
Curiosity - it made me to drop the Emergency Activation Disk to a USB floppy drive and run 'Move Activation', the move window poped up, with one difference . It had a column stating 12/31/2007. So it is obvious - it is valid until 31 Dec 2007.

Of course I didn't move it in. My online activation is still intact.

I just tried it also - but I waited for you to try it first :)

The floppy does appear to be valid until 12/31/07. Kinda strange. I guess it must self destruct and you can't have any emergencies after the end of the year.

New question on old thread:

Is online activation of RSLogix5000 still available? I just D/L'ed RSLogix5K v8.52, and it seems to want to use EvMove v4.7 to move my activation. I'm still haggling with my distributor and trying to get the PO cut, but is handling this online/over the phone an option? I need the software ASAP, and if I can avoid waiting for snailmail, I'd like to.

That is an old version that was released before the new activation scheme existed.

If you never had a disk based license, you'll probably need one to use that old version.

You could get a newer version that supports the new "Factory Talk" activation which can be done over the internet.

I've downloaded the Factory Talk Activation software, but the next question is, "where do I purchase a newer version that supports activation via FactoryTalk?" Rockwell Automation keeps wanting to send me to a distributor, and the distributor seems to think I have to get something in the mail.

It's been a couple of years since I've been through this, but it seems like you have to purchase it from your distributor, then Rockwell will send you an activation code in the mail -- which you then use to register online.

That's what I've gathered so far. Rockwell actually said that the Activation Group could give me the serial # and what not over the phone once the order was in the system, but as of Friday COB the Orders Group on the east coast had not done so yet. Maybe today (Monday) it will be in.