Cheap Wireless HMI

Vetteboy

I am seeking to build a relatively cheap Wireless Portable HMI unit that will comunicate with all PLCs at our site. I thought before I reinvent the wheel in order to save money, I would ask everyone what they use and at what cost. We have all Allen-Bradley PLC 5 and SLCs and we use DH+ to network them. I haven't got a price on one yet, but Allen-Bradley sells a wireless HMI tablet (T750) that I would assume cost big $$$$$$. If anyone can help great. If not, I'm sure I can figure something out. There is also a package for Palm called Instant HMI but it looks like it interfaces with the PLCs individually rather than on a network.

Vetteboy

Cheap?

You had better be VERY good and willing to invest lots of time ( money ). When you are done you will have something worth selling but you are biting off a lot. I know what it takes to design products.

I have heard that those AB HMI tablets are very good when used outdoors. It communicates with 2 Control Logix and 2 motion controllers.

I've been thinking about something similar (yet completely different) to Vetteboy's idea...

As an OEM, I'd like to setup a wireless network for any machines we're building. I prefer to program at my desk (which is IN the shop) rather than fighting with a laptop, so I'm forever stretching serial cables around the shop to the different machines (Ethernet cables too).

Besides the trip hazard, they always seem to get run over by forklifts... :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about trying one of THESE WIRELESS SERIAL LANS so I can have 2 'portable' serial ports to connect at the machine. They might be of some interest to you Vetteboy...

beerchug

-Eric

Actually where I work Time isn't considered money. I answer radio calls when we have problems, so they consider any other work I do on shift free. I know it sounds stupid, but they would rather I spent 2 weeks refurbishing some used piece of junk than spend $500 on a new one. Let's just say it's easier to waste a months worth of my time on this than try to get someone to whip out the big wallet for something that already exists. Maybe rather than wireless I should just be looking at some portable DH+ HMI that I plug into various locations for calibrations. Like a luggable EZtouch LunchBox unit.

I have successfully used a couple of these to connect a EZTouch touch screen to a GE Fanuc 90-30. I believe I used RS-232 but they appear to also come in RS-422 and RS-485. As I recall they weren't the cheapest things in the world but they work and they have decent range.

OK, this is good, now the search is on for a small rechargable 24V battery. Thanks all of you for the info so far. Someone tell me why I shouldn't use the 24V batteries made for cordless power tools.

Last edited:
Wireless

Well, what ever you do wireless, keep in mind security. When ever you make something wireless, you are giving people the chance to hack into your system. I personally advise our cutomers to stay away from wireless, or to have a firm grasp of the technology before they consider it. This is particularly true with SCADA and HMI apps usint tcp/ip. Never know when little johnny will come up with his 802.11 card and hack into your plant wide network....

Well, even though Mafiaboy is Canadian, our mill is 4 miles from the nearest town, and most farmboys with 56K dialup worry more about where to get a bigger subwoofer for their pickup than hacking radio networks.

Interesting

Good point. I am used to working in cities. Guess you should always evaluate your entire situation. In larger cities, wireless hacking is pandemic, and should not be easily blown off.

We use WIFI connections to our plant PLC network with laptops running both WW and lookout as well as our Siemens program software. It took some time to get it all working. We use Linksys routers scattered around the plant to pull this off. The hardware was less than $200 a node but it did take some head scratching to make it all fly in close formation. Operations is wild about it. Like Vetteboy our plant is away from the city so hacking is not a big issue. Fact is, once outside the gate NetStumbler on my laptop with a 6db yagi can't find a node.

Love that wireless!!

Lenny