USB To Ethernet VMWare

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi All,

I have had a look through this website but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I have a virtual machine running Windows 7. My host system is Windows 10.

My laptop hasn't got a native ethernet port, so I have purchased a USB to ethernet adapter.

Using the adapter on my host machine, I can set an IP address and 'see' everything on my automation network.

However, when I go into my virtual machine, I get an error, saying that the USB device didn't install correctly.

I have manually installed all the drivers inside my virtual machine, but I still can't reach anything on the automation network.

I have never used a USB to ethernet before, so I am hoping there is a setting somewhere in the virtual machine I can change to allow me to use the adapter.

I am running VMWare Workstation Pro V15.

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Mark

There are two options:
1> Have the USB adapter 'connected' (logically) to the host OS, the host OS has the USB driver and access to the outside world through that interface. It provides network access to the guest through a NAT (default), or bridge (probably what you want) through the VMnet0 interface. The guest needs to have the VMWare Tools installed, which install a virtual network card driver.

2> Connect (logically) the USB NIC directly to the guest. The host OS would Not have access to the outside world through the interface. Only the guest would have access. The guest would need those USB drivers installed and not being using the VMWare Tools driver (although that should still be installed for other virtual devices.

(I run almost always with #1. Occasionally I do #2 when I what to wireshark something from a guest and don't want the overhead or extra packets from the host in the capture)

ONly mount the USE Device to the Base Macine and then that should have a 2nd NIC card. From there you should be able using the VMWare netmanager to point the Network card inside the VMMachine at a Network Card ( VM: ) I think and in turn point VM1: at the USB Adapter or change source to a WIFI card etc. THen ping from inside you VMware machine (once you've set ip up) and you should get a connection. If you can't ping then no connection.

I always found VMWare a bit cluncky when setting up networks, part of the reason I used to use Oracle Virtual Box.

Mark, just make sure the adapter is properly installed and functional on the Host machine then, on the Guest VM use the Menu bar VM/Removable Devices/ dropdown, select the USB/ENet adaptor and then choose 'Connect(Disconnect from Host)'. Give it a couple of minutes to load up the driver and then you should have it available in Networking and Sharing/Change adapter settings ('old' Windows Control Panel).

There is no need to alter the VM Settings.

I sometimes have each Host USB 3 port occupied by a USB/ENet adapter connected to one or multiple running VMware Pro v.15 VMs. They all work like a charm even if from multiple manufacturers.

So the problem is that the driver does not install correctly in the VM ?
And you have manually installed the driver, but it still doesnt work ? You mean that the USB device is still marked as faulty in the device manager, or do you mean that the driver seems to be installed OK but you cannot reach items on the network ?

What software is it that you use to reach the devices ? Does other network functions work ? Ping ?

Normally it works with no fuss. Thinking that USB-Ethernet adapters costs basically nothing, if the problem isnt resolved quickly try with another brand.

The driver for the USB to Enet adapter may not be the same for both Win10 and Win7. Go look at the products web site and see if there is a separate driver for Win7 and if so install it in the VM ware OS. You may have to uninstall the device in Device Manager (in the VM OS).

Interesting, I been playing around with various VM configurations with the intention to virtualize some of our HMIs. As some of HMI doesn't work on newest Windows releases (say iFix 5.5) I started to look at virtualize Win7 but then I ran into a potential show stopper. It seems that Microsoft requires a VDA license to access a virtualized desktop OS.

Yes yes, I know some of you this is not a big deal but I work in a regulated world and we have to be compliant as far as OS license is concerned. How do you handle that scenario?

I have heard that VMWare has trouble with USB 3 and I think you need to install VMWare Tools and maybe a special driver.

Alan.

That is true. VMware haven't had usb3 drivers at least before.
If you have usb3 ethernet, that can be one problem.
But if you connect usb 2.0 hub between your computer and ethernet adapter, then VMware would see only usb2 speed.

If you need adapter only at offic it could be easy setup, but outside office only usb2.0 ethernet adapter would be easier.

Is there any new USB 2.0 ethernet adapter anymore ;)

Another way is connect adapter for host windows, but then you need mirroring or NAT setting on VMware for IP address.