Help With ASI communications SST-ASI-SLC

MikeRush

We had to shut power down to a sub and when powering a conveyor system back up, discovered multiple ASI system faults.

While I have many questions, I will start off with this one.....

After installation of a brand new SST-ASI-SLC scanner (SLC5/03 rack), how does the G file get written to the new card?

The HMI indicates ASI configuration files errors. Many of the modules themselves are indicating faults with their red leds, but I have determined that the modules themselves are ok. I have downloaded the original RSS file back into the cpu hoping it would resolve any corruption that may have occurred due to battery failure/power loss to the cpu RAM, but it didn't help. As best as I can discern from the manufacturer's module manual, the G file is written to the scanner card whenever the PLC goes "into" the RUN mode.

It seems like there is still some configuration to be done. This link leads to the manual for that interface. Starting on page 26, they describe the G files, and the different ways they can be configured. After reading a bit of the manual, it sounds like somebody configured the cards via USB, which does not save the configuration as part of the program. This may be why reloaded the program didn't help.

It's been some time, but I believe the G files are accessed by double clicking on the module in the IO configuration, and then selecting edit G Data.

I hope this gets you started.

Problem Solved

Yesterday I was able to return the system to service after discovering several issues.

I suspect that the RSS file stored in the CPU RAM got corrupted when power was removed for an extended time period and the battery.... very old battery... drained. The third shift was called to the system and were the first to arrive and begin troubleshooting. After they were unable to resolve the issue, it got dropped into my lap.

As I mentioned above, I downloaded a fresh RSS file to the CPU and was disappointed when it did not resolve the ASI Configuration Files errors. I took some time to read not only the ASI manual, but the scanner manufacturer's manual as well. Not being an engineer, and working with PLCs maybe a half dozen times a year, I have to admit I got lost easy. The best that I could discern is that the G File is stored in the CPUs RSS file as by the system designer. The file is loaded into the scanner "every time the CPU is put into the RUN mode". So I got frustrated as to why the file kept coming up with configuration errors.

Troubleshooting led me to discover that the third shift technician incorrectly inserted the cable connector to the scanner card, he missed a pin. After correcting that issue, I still wasn't able to clear the faults, until......

The third shift tech did not replace the cables as they were originally installed. He took the cable marked "CBL10" and inserted it into the ASI.1 channel, and the cable marked "CBL20" into the ASI.2 channel. For some reason, the manufacturer reversed that logical numeration, and designed the machine to have 10 go into channel 2 and 20 go into channel 1. Why? Well...... if I had to name the manufacturer I'd also have to write a book as to how poorly designed and assembled the system was from day 1 which was back in 2001. I have heard through the grapvine that they deny even making the machine.

Once I inserted the cables "as per technical drawings"..... always the best practice, and switched the CPU from program to run, all was well with the ASI system.

Thank you for reading and thanks for the replies.