Help with importing tags from logix5000 to factorytalk studio.

Shiro485

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to import the tags from my logix5000 project for use over into a factorytalk studio me program? I cant seem to find an option that works, the tag import and export wizard wont seem to let me move them between the two. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi

You don't need to Import them you just need to set up the path in enterprise.
Then when you create a button or object you just point it to the tag in your plc if you are online or you can point to the offline code on your pc

Donnchadh

Take a step back and read the FactoryTalk manuals about the difference between HMI Tags and Direct-Reference Tags. This starts in Chapter 6 of the User's Guide.

I almost never use HMI tags, so there is no need to 'import' or create a database.

I directly reference the RSLogix 5000 tags, either by browsing them out of the controller online, or by browsing them out of the *.ACD file offline by linking the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut to the *.ACD file.

This link between the RSLogix 5000 software and FactoryTalk View Studio is one of the best features of FactoryTalk View.

The Tag Import/Export tools in FactoryTalk View Studio are meant for use with PLC-5 and SLC-500 controllers, where the 'Symbol' and data table address can be used by FactoryTalk to build an HMI Tag Database.

you don't import tags, you need to go to the communications tab (don't have factory talk here to guide me so beware) add the path of the controller you want to see the tags in. verify the path and then you should be able in the hmi screen edit select the tags you want directly from the controller

If it is in office means how to pin the PLC tags in factory talk?
If PLC program in another system and Factory talk in another one means how to?
Is that possible with plc tags files?

Yet another missing feature from FTView (any edition).
And just because it was mentioned here, I have to say, Direct Reference Tags are EEEEEVVVIILLLLL!

Every tag in any one of my projects lives in the tag database. No Exceptions.

Direct Reference Tags are only touted as a 'Feature' by Rockwell because they were too lazy to implement anything better.

Hello sir,
Thanks for your quick response.Actually i found the way.IN RS ENTERPRISE -->Communication.There is a option for importing (Browse) acd files.Through that i get access to PLC tags office.

Thank you

Hello sir,
Thanks for your quick response.Actually i found the way.IN RS ENTERPRISE -->Communication.There is a option for importing (Browse) acd files.Through that i get access to PLC tags office.

Thank you

Yes, but unless you are creating tags in the HMI tag database, you still end up with Direct Referenced tags.

Hmi tags

Just wondering I am from an RSView32 world so I feel a little lost here. In RSView32 every tag is counted with the exception of the "internal tags" I use the internal tags to open Visibility things such as if Button A is pressed the make Visible button B.

I am trying to migrate my RSView32 project into Factorytalk ME and the graphics and operation look and work great. I have the processor TAG Online and offline files working.

Now comes the interesting part I need to make a file within the TAG Browser for my "internal tags" These tags will also be used inside a recipe screen, things that do not need to goto the PLC. So RSLinx Enterprise will not let me make a new file, I can only place this file under the HMI named file in this case: Tension_Control_HMI I place a file there called BITS, I then click on the right side window and add my "Bits" BIT12, BIT13 etc these are all memory type some will be retentive.

So far so good. So i proceed to use them with a button on my screen: Value beside the arrow it states BITS\BITS12 I then add = 1 to it to make it an expression. When I save it and re-open the button the program has added parenthesis around the instruction that in my mind says if pressed BIT12 = 1.

I then create a runtime file and run it on my computer and when it starts to run I get an error message : Problem writing value 1 to item BITS\BITS2=1
pressing it again the error is: problem writing value 0 to the item BITS\BITS = 1

So my question is if you use DATA SERVER TAGS from the PLC can you not also make internal tags ?? If I can i must have missed a step as I just spent 4 hours trying every which way and I am still not making any headway.

Any help would be appreciated as always.

tag.jpg

The "=" assignment operator is confusing the software.

In general a pushbutton is going to assign either a value of 0 or a value of 1 to a digital tag. You just have to address the tag itself in the Connection field.

If you look closely you'll probably see that FactoryTalk View Studio did not put parentheses around your expression, but rather curly brackets. FTView uses curly brackets to surround an Item name.

Just go back and change the Value connection to "Bits\Bits12" and I think you'll find that it works.

Two other suggestions:

1. Memory is cheap in the tag database. You don't have to call something "Bit1", you could call it "Tension_Control_Label_Visible".

2. FactoryTalk View licenses your application by the number of Display screens, not by the number of tags. That's different from RSView32, so it can take some effort to change your approach to optimization.

We are using the Panelview+ 1000 'C' (Compact version which is limited to 25 screens (Alarm, Diagnostic, Information count for 3 screens) Somewhere I read there is a limit of 1000 tags as well. I used to Multiplex the hell out of RSVIEW32 (32 Bits = 1 Tag, 1 Tag = 32 Bits) We could do a 150 Tag system and easily pull 1000 Tags out of it.

The issue I am having is the recipes have loke a three way button, for example SOFT, MEDIUM and HARD (3 states of Copper) The operator needs to identify this on a screen only so in RSVIEW32 the buttons had a 3 way option, DIGITAL or Script, Tyoically if one button is pushed the other's are off and if any of the off butons are pressed to on the remaining buttons would go off. These were "memory" tags They were utilized by the recipe only and not by the PLC.

The scenario is such that after a change the changed values are "pushed into the PLC" so we have a confirmation button (see below picture) if the operator pushes this button then two more pop up below that button, one is "confirm" the other is "cancel" If the operator pushes confirm the pushed values are pushed into the PLC, and the confirmation bit is reset. If the operator pushes cancel the confirmation button is reset.
Anyway thanks for your advice as always Ken

rsview32.jpg

Last edited:
ok lets try this again

I have three buttons: lets call them A, B and C

Screen Shows one Button -A
If I press button A and release
Buttons B and C are displayed

3 Functions can occur.

Screen shows three Buttons -A, B, C
If I press Button B and release
Set a Digital Output to the PLC (Information is Valid)
Hide Buttons B and C

Screen Shows three Buttons -A, B, C
If I press Button C and release (Oops should not have gone this far)
Hide Buttons B and C

Screen Shows three Buttons -A, B, C
If I press Button A and release
Buttons B and C are still Displayed

So how is this done with just Simple Digital Memory tags.

Take a step back and read the FactoryTalk manuals about the difference between HMI Tags and Direct-Reference Tags. This starts in Chapter 6 of the User's Guide.

I almost never use HMI tags, so there is no need to 'import' or create a database.

I directly reference the RSLogix 5000 tags, either by browsing them out of the controller online, or by browsing them out of the *.ACD file offline by linking the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut to the *.ACD file.

This link between the RSLogix 5000 software and FactoryTalk View Studio is one of the best features of FactoryTalk View.

The Tag Import/Export tools in FactoryTalk View Studio are meant for use with PLC-5 and SLC-500 controllers, where the 'Symbol' and data table address can be used by FactoryTalk to build an HMI Tag Database.

Hi, i used offline ACD file to link rslogix5000 to factorytalk this is the syntax address "{[Oven alarm]Diagnostic_Alarm[0]}", what if i use the online now because the controller is available, is it still the same syntax address and can be connected or it may have a problem because i see some syntax address with double colon

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to import the tags from my logix5000 project for use over into a factorytalk studio me program? I cant seem to find an option that works, the tag import and export wizard wont seem to let me move them between the two. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

I'm looking for help with this same issue. I'm using FTView Studio v13 and Studio5000 v33. I have hundreds of tags in my .ACD file. Is there a way to import them into FTview? I know I can select an Offline Tag File in FTView Communication Setup, but then I still need to manually browse for each PLC tag to create an HMI tag in the FTView Tag Database. I was hoping to avoid this due to the large number of tags.