Password in Micrologix1200 AB PLC

krunalc

Dear Forum Readers,

i have got one Micorlogix 1200 PLC and in that one program is there When i went online to that PLC i was surprised to know that there is password in it. Now the most tragic thing is no one here is aware that there is password in it. So because of this password we have not been able to upload/download the program.
is there anyway to get the program inside the PLC or go online without having password??
i would really appreciate if someone can help me in this regard.
the PLC is Micrologix 1200 series c type.

regards,

krunal

The big question is: How did the password get set in the first place?

Usually a password is set up by a programmer who wants to prevent others from changing his program. Sometimes this is done for safety reasons - at other times the programmer just wants to make more money by being the only one who can change the program.

If a programmer has put the password in place on purpose, you need to get in touch with the programmer and see if he will give you the password. Sometimes they will just give it to you over the phone. In other cases they will make you pay for a service call - then they will come out and work on the program for you.

In some (extremely rare) cases the password gets set by mistake. If this has happened to you, I would recommend that you get in touch with Allen-Bradley technical support or with your local distributor - they MAY be able to help.

Finally, there is another method of protecting programs - and sometimes people confuse it with a password although it is quite different. It is called "Deny Future Access". If this is your problem, it can usually be solved by just having a copy of the .RSS file available on your computer's hard-drive when you try to go online with the processor. Make sure that the file is in the RSLogix500 "path" - which you can verify by clicking "File-Open" (on the RSLogix500 main menu) and looking for the file in the window which pops up. I doubt that this is your problem - since you specifically mentioned a "password". But I decided to include this note for completeness.

One more thing: do you have ANY copy of the program ( .RSS file ) on a disk?

I remember reading somewhere that (edited out- please don't post prorietary passwords-Thx Phil) is a universial password. There is also a way to read the password in the system. However I'm not where I can get to that file. It should be in the archives of this site though.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
From my notes,

1. Master password is "(edited out- please don't post prorietary passwords-Thx Phil) "

2. Load ladder file into WordPad.
Look for a series of numbers prior to the program name,
separated by some machine code. That will be the password.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, thank u all very much for ur replies.
now let me make u one thing very clear At this moment i don't know about the whereabouts of the programmer who has programmed this PLC. Also i don't have soft copy of the program with me. and let me tell u ppl very clearly that by getting the program inside the PLC we r not violating any rules or stealing technology.
i tried the master password (which u ppl r not ready to name on this forum) but it didn't worked. i think that password can only work with SLC series PLCs. is it true??

regards,

krunal

I understand and sympathize with your problem, krunal, but it wouldn't be much of a security feature if there was a way around it. As two of the above posters have attempted to disclose, there used to be a backdoor password in the SLC and PLC-5 controllers. Enough people learned the "secret" that it's useless as a safety feature now. Thanks, guys ! :D

The MicroLogix family of controllers do not have a backdoor password. The only thing you can do is clear the memory (see Rockwell Knowledgebase document # A16851) and download a new program.

Time to go find your programmer.

Password Backdoors

Ken

I think AB not having a "backdoor" password reset on mirologix is a mistake. It is a overreaction to the PLC5 backdoor becoming almost common knowledge.

I agree security is compromised when everybody has the backdoor access. But lets say, a service call from AB is required with presentation of proper documentation as to ownership and need for access. This is a reasonable safeguard of security ( and generates profit for AB).

People die. People get mad at employers and try to get even, people simply forget. I think AB should figure out a way to make a backdoor. Anybody can set that password......Somebody should be able to unset it.