cable RS485 siemen

ngoclan

dear everybody
I'm not yes USB to RS485 converter cable, types: USB to RS485 converter cable connecting for plc siemen S7 300 and S7 200. to connect computer which plc
because my computer of me. it's haven't RS485 port
i see USB to RS485 converter cable, of siemen production it's too expensice.
i have little money, not enough to buy USB to RS485 cable of siemen production
can you help me
can you speak for me know.
can I use USB to RS485 converter cable of manufacturers different ? fix connect with PLC to PC ??

Be very carefull when choosing a cable: for S7-200 you can do with a simple USB-RS485 converter (aka USB/PPI cable) but for S7-300 this won't do. The USB/MPI cable you need for that does more than simple electrical level adaption, there's a microprocessor needed to take care of the protocol conversion, speed adaption and data buffering. Most (all?) cheaper cables are only fit for one family of Siemens PLC's, the official (more expensive) Siemens converter can do both PLC families at once.

BTW so far I've never seen a standard computer with an RS485 port, only dedicated ones from Siemens.

Kind regards and good luck,

Be very carefull when choosing a cable: for S7-200 you can do with a simple USB-RS485 converter (aka USB/PPI cable) but for S7-300 this won't do. The USB/MPI cable you need for that does more than simple electrical level adaption, there's a microprocessor needed to take care of the protocol conversion, speed adaption and data buffering. Most (all?) cheaper cables are only fit for one family of Siemens PLC's, the official (more expensive) Siemens converter can do both PLC families at once.

BTW so far I've never seen a standard computer with an RS485 port, only dedicated ones from Siemens.

Kind regards and good luck,

thank you very much
have a nice day