NAT question

cncsparky

Can 1:1 NAT be used to translate the same IP address on the plant side of the network and a private network?

We have product line, conveyor system, that was brought in several years ago. Consists of a L33ER CLX, 7 mlx, and 7 panelviews. Stand alone network. Through some misscommunication I suppose, all devices were given IP's the same subnet as our plant network. Should have been a private network.

Engineering now wants to collect data from the L33 only. We are hesitant to put the entire system on the plant network. Having used the 9300-NAT device in other areas, could this be used to translate from and to the same subnet? Is this a valid way to keep the conveyor system off the plant network but still see the supervisor L33 plc?

Thinking if both sides of the NAT were the same IP address, it would create less confusion for maintenance. o_O

Every router (including NAT) I've used requires different subnets on the internal and external sides.

However, you could use a firewall in bridge mode/layer 2 only to block access to every device except the mlx on each machine.

Trying to avoid changing IP's on all 15 devices to private addresses, but sounds like that may be the easiest solution. Its just getting downtime to implement and test is hard.

The compact L33ER is the only PLC that engineering wants to look at from the plant network. If we talked them into upgrading processors to one the new compacts with dual ethernet capabilities, would this solve the issue? Or would the traffic on the conveyor side of one ethernet adapter bridge over to the other ethernet adapter in the compact processor and be just as if we plugged the plant network into the conveyor systems' plc?