Parker DC Drive - no field voltage

rankhornjp

Hopefully yall can help me out. This is a new drive (installed by someone else) on a previously running piece of equipment.

Customer has a Parker 590 DC drive hooked to a 200hp GE motor (shunt field).

When i got here the field feedback was 0. I discovered the field was disabled in the drive. Once i enabled it I get a "Field Failed" alarm. Manual says this indicates no field power or an open field circuit.

I have 480v on the field control input and 60ohms of resistance on the field circuit.

Im waiting on Parker Techs to call me back, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm not familiar with your exact drive but I have work on several digital DC drives before.
Along with enabling the field, there are also parameters that control what the acceptable field current should be and on some drives there is a resister that has to be installed that helps set the field current. The resistance has to be selected based on a chart or calculations based on the field requirements of the motor.

Take the time to read the manual thoroughly! I've seen more than one motor, drive or both go up in smoke because of not setting up the field properly.

You need to know how the field is wired; The target voltage/current should be on the motor nameplate. 60 Ohms sort of sounds lowish to me for a 200 HP GE motor configured for a 500VDC field, but it's possible.

Without a nameplate:

If the fields are in series, (Supply on F1 and F4, F2 and F3 tied together) try setting the drive for Field control mode, Voltage, and 500 VDC. If the fields are in parallel, set the field control mode to voltage, 250 VDC and give it a shot.

The best field control is setting it to Current control, and setting the base field amps for whatever the motor nameplate says.

It's been a couple of years but I seem to remember a similar situation on a 75hp parker that I traced to failed connections between the main board and the board above it. The field connections come off of the main board through some raised square pins that come right through the board above and from there are traced over to the wire connection points. The spring in one of the sockets got weak and it burnt off the trace.

You need to know how the field is wired; The target voltage/current should be on the motor nameplate. 60 Ohms sort of sounds lowish to me for a 200 HP GE motor configured for a 500VDC field, but it's possible.

Without a nameplate:

If the fields are in series, (Supply on F1 and F4, F2 and F3 tied together) try setting the drive for Field control mode, Voltage, and 500 VDC. If the fields are in parallel, set the field control mode to voltage, 250 VDC and give it a shot.

The best field control is setting it to Current control, and setting the base field amps for whatever the motor nameplate says.

Most of them I've dealt with are 150/300V fields.

There is probably a parameter for field current as well as field voltage. As I recall, the ABB drives are defaulted to current regulation on the field.

Most of them I've dealt with are 150/300V fields.

There is probably a parameter for field current as well as field voltage. As I recall, the ABB drives are defaulted to current regulation on the field.

Doh!
My mind is slipping, you are of course correct.
Armature 500/250, field 300/150.

I guess I have been replacing too many DC motors with AC lol!

they are a good drive. you can set them up for either field voltage regulation or field current. settings are in the configure menu from memory. do you have a manual ?

there is field fuses inside the drive and a separate supply to the filed regulator. i have a PDF manual at work but will not be on-site for another 10 hours 6am Melbourne time its 8 pm now.

Last edited: